Muslim Student Union elects new officers

With a newly elected executive board, many educational and social events can be expected from the IU Muslim Student Union, president-elect Myeda Hussain said.\nHussain said she’d like to see the MSU become more active on campus.\n“I plan to hold much more social events, spiritual events, fundraisers and philanthropy work,” Hussain, a junior, said. “Also, I would love to see the MSU network more with other groups on campus.”\nHussain said she had worked with a similar group before coming to IU.\n“Growing up in Newburgh, Indiana, I was always the only practicing Muslim of my class,” she said. “I started the Evansville Muslim Youth Association in Evansville, but there wasn’t a lot of Muslims, and it remained a small organization.”\nUndeterred by a lack of involvement from her home community, Hussain joined the MSU during her freshman year and was nominated to join the executive board for her sophomore year.\n“After being an active member for three years and serving on the board for two years, I decided that I had a lot of new ideas derived from experience and could improve the MSU,” Hussain said.\nOther new officers-elect said they had similar plans. Freshman Omair Ali, who was elected public relations chair, said he is sure the new board is innovative enough to add new events to the organization’s already diverse and successful social itinerary.\n“Our plans for next year include many keynote speakers, the annual Fast-a-Thon, many Ramadan events and much more,” Ali said.\nSecretary-elect Aasiya Mirza said her goal is to encourage more members to join and become active in the IU Muslim community.\n“I’d love to share the friendships that the MSU creates through its Islam-oriented events,” freshman Mirza said. “I become closer to my faith as I become closer to my friends.”\nThe MSU is dedicated to providing a spiritual and welcoming environment for Muslims and non-Muslims alike, offering educational and social events for all, according to the organization’s Web site.\n“I hope to make the MSU much more active on both the IU campus and in the Bloomington community,” Hussain said. “I would like to focus on the MSU’s contribution to general Islamic knowledge on campus. I believe it is every Muslim’s responsibility to diminish misunderstandings concerning Islam. I hope the MSU receives a lot of feedback from IU students concerning areas they would like to learn more about in Islam.”\nMore information is available on the MSU’s Web site, or by e-mailing the organization at msuweb@indiana.edu.