LIVE FROM THE BEEHIVE

April 5, 2007 Edition

Your friendly neighborhood record stores

There are still a certain elite who buy their music today. There is a small demographic who despise mp3 tracks, refuse to deal with digital rights management and absolutely loathe radio dubs. These rare audiophiles also love the packaging, the liner notes and the ritual of placing a brand new album in their CD player or on their turntable. \nThe experience of shopping for new music at a store is unparalleled: schmoozing with the record store clerk, soaking in the multi-colored posters that adorn the walls, the feel of each CD spine on your fingers and the soft click each CD makes as it knocks the one before it. \nThese old-fashioned notions aren't lost everywhere. All around the country -- nay, the world -- record stores prosper. Even in Bloomington, three main record stores hold their own in the rough sea of the music market. Each offers its own amenities, its own charm to lure in record lovers, audiophiles and CD enthusiasts alike. \nTracks\nTracks on Kirkwood, arguably the most accessible of the Bloomington three, caters to the most average of music shoppers. This is not, by any means, an insult. Tracks carries a wide variety of genres, an extensive used CD collection and an ever-evolving used vinyl section in the back. The cherry on top at Tracks is the two listening stations. Armed with five new albums each, they offer the customer a chance to listen before leaving with an armful of CDs. On your way out (or on your way in, I suppose), check the new releases white board by the door for upcoming record release dates. \nTD's CDs and LPs\nOne-half block toward the square and across the street lies the next destination. Buried in the basement underneath Cactus Flower, Laughing Planet and Soma is TD's CDs and LPs. \nThough TD himself passed away from cancer my sophomore year, his spirit remains. TD was a passionate music lover and supporter of underrepresented and local music (just like WIUX!). At the store, expect cramp quarters packed with rare CDs, vinyl and a handful of zines. Be sure to pick up some of their free posters, postcards or whatever is there that day. TD's is so supportive of emerging bands that it will sell your band's CD on consignment no matter where you are from.\nLandlocked Music\nOnly a short walk away awaits the third of Bloomington's most popular record stores. Considerably newer, Landlocked Muisc is (we're a little biased) the coolest. Owned by WIUS alumni Jason and Heath, Landlocked is located on Washington Street just south of Third Street and next to Boxcar Books.\nLandlocked stands apart from the rest of the record stores in town because it holds shows. Ladyhawk played there last week and the Monday after Culture Shock, Casiotone for the Painfully Alone will appear. \nLandlocked also has an excellent new music section and a wide variety of new vinyl. In fact, it is so partial to records over CDs that it sells turntables and various turntable accessories as well. \nSo ditch that peer-to-peer file-sharing garbage. If you live on campus, you'll get in trouble anyhow. Scrap those DRM-ed tracks that you buy online in favor of the hard copy, the real deal. Go out, support your favorite bands, and buy their records.