Just four years

I did it in four years.\nIn the summer of 2003 I came to IU; two Bachelor of Arts degrees, 10 pounds and dozens of new friends and acquaintances later, I will graduate. It is important – mostly for my own sense of closure – that I share my most important lessons from college with you readers. \nNo worries – these lessons aren’t along the lines of “Be yourself lol omg.” I like to think they’re much more relatable and amusing than that. I also hope to recommend sandwich variations and Bloomington deli options somewhere in these 500 words; in addition to comforting myself as I transition out of the college bubble, I seek to enjoy and discuss sandwiches as much as possible.\nWe’ll start with the gushy stuff. Relationships. I identify as a heterosexual woman, so I am coming from the perspective of desiring and getting my heart pooped on by men. I was fortunate to experience only one real heartbreak in my four years at IU, and I’ve come out of it (almost completely) knowing that I cannot blame myself for getting hurt. Nor can you, my female peers who liked that guy who said he would call but never did. Don’t be angry at yourselves for believing him, or “letting” yourself get too involved with him. He hurt you. You’re the victim. Of course this lesson can be applied to all sorts of intimate partner relations, can’t it? \nUnfortunately, I’ve no advice or practiced method of actually getting over a dude (or a lady). That part just sucks, and can take a lot of time.\nProbably my second most important collegiate revelation happened in the classroom. I will never forget being excited to go to my G101: Women and Society class as a junior. I was so enlightened every course period after encountering social history from a feminist perspective for the first time. I am more media literate and thoughtful because of gender studies, my second major, and I will never be ashamed to let people know that sex and gender are different. Sex is determined by a human’s biology whilst gender is a social construction. Please remember that, you! Take G101 for an extension on this thought – you will not regret it unless you hate intellect. Or gummi bears.\nMy third contemplation is maybe just personal and realized only very recently: that I am my only worst enemy. We are all probably our own harshest critics. No one but myself makes me feel bad about the brown scar from a spider bite on my left shin, for missing a workout or for saying that vaguely inappropriate, awkward thing at the party. I’ve found out that unless you physically harm them, people are generally receptive and uncritical, if you are too.\nThere is so much else. Volunteering is important and rewarding. Tell your parents you love them (if you do). Participate in class. Try the monster cookies at Sugar ’n Spice.\nLove college. Be OK with yourself. Be good to your friends. Good luck.