Hoosiers earn comeback win against ISU

Sophomore hits game-winning triple to seal victory

Sophomore pitcher Monica Wright fires against the ISU Sycamores on Tuesdayin Bloomington.  Wright finished the evening with her record at 12-1, allowing only three runs on six hits and three walks in 7 innings.

Sophomore shortstop Emily Bergeson was in the middle of a slump. Then she was thrown into the position every player dreams of: two outs and the bases loaded with the opportunity to give her team a chance to win.\nBergeson proved she was up to the challenge when she hit a shot to center field – a triple, scoring all three players on base.\nShe was followed by a hit from senior right fielder Heather Hohs that allowed Bergeson to score the fourth run of the inning, giving the Hoosiers a 6-3 lead that put the win in the bag for IU.\nBergeson said the win was a collective effort.\n“I knew I really needed to step up because I had been in a slump,” Bergeson said. “It was a team win, and everybody stepped up and got on base I just hit them in.”\nDespite being in a position that would ruffle the feathers of most teams, Bergeson said, the team was never worried about pulling out the win when it went down 3-2 in the sixth inning.\n“We have a really strong lineup, and Indiana State was cheering like they had already won,” Bergeson said. “We felt good and weren’t worried at all.” \nThe Hoosiers came into the game looking to earn a milestone win while ending a recent losing streak. \nThey started their trek for the win well when senior catcher Tory Yamaguchi hit a two-run homer – which gave her 11 home runs to tie her career high from the 2005 season. The home run scored junior Jennilee Huddleston from second base. \nThe game got off to a fast start. After the first inning, the Hoosiers led 2-1.\nBut the scoring pace slowed as the defense picked up.\nSophomore pitcher Monica Wright played a solid game and kept the Sycamores off balance with an array of pitches. \nThough Wright was superb for most of the game, she walked Lauren Kebely. That walk helped to fuel the Sycamores in their comeback, taking a 3-2 lead in the top of the sixth inning. They gave the Hoosiers a scare that led to Bergeson’s late-game heroics.\nThough the offensive output picked up at the end of the game, a wealth of defense and pitching, along with a hitting drought that lasted for four innings, helped the game to pass quickly. Wright said the defense helped her to perform.\n“I felt really confident in the circle knowing that whatever the defense was able to hit would be fielded by my team,” Wright said. “I was thrilled with the defense’s performance.”