Monday, June 17

GLBT supporters break silence with march, rally

Students say IU’s gay tolerance gives them comfort

Aaron Bernstein

Doug Bauder marched behind about 60 gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender students and supporters during events for the Day of Silence.\nBut with fewer participants this year, Bauder, IU’s coordinator of Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual and Transgender Office of Student Support Services, reticently questioned the event’s future. With IU’s reputation as one of the nation’s most GLBT-friendly campuses, several students said they no longer felt society’s suppression. For some of these Indiana natives, progressive Bloomington’s gay tolerance is a far cry from home. \nThe National Day of Silence began in 1996 at the University of Virginia and has since grown to include tens of thousands of participants nationwide. These include organized efforts at both high schools and colleges. Many participants took a vow of silence throughout the day, symbolizing the shushed culture many GLBT students experience. \nHardly seeming the case at IU today, activists received widespread support as they marched through campus toward IU’s Sample Gates. Many drivers sounded their horns in support while some pedestrians shouted in approval. \nHowever, beyond the community’s seeming acceptance, Bauder said he was more encouraged by the lack of negativity that sometimes accompanies similar events. A few passers-by voiced disapproving messages, but Bauder said this negativity has been reduced from previous years – a sign of progress in the minds of some GLBT students and supporters. \nA sea of green, short-sleeved T-shirts caused the marchers to appear like a disorganized army – out of step, but seriously in tune with an ultimate mission of proving legitimacy and gaining acceptance. Multicolored flags symbolizing GLBT activism blew in the breeze. Near the herd’s front, a man and two women held hands, faces stoic. \n“I’m hoping we are going to be able to change things for future generations,” said freshman Kadie Dunkel, one of the hand-holding friends. Focusing more on their activism’s future implications, the three friends did not expect immediate results. \n“We are willing to take whatever we can get,” freshman Logan Traylor said. \nBut if today and recent political decisions are any indication, GLBT acceptance might not be so far distant as once thought. \nFewer attacks due to students’ sexualities kept Bauder positive.\n“We’ve made some progress, but you’re the ones who have also made the progress in your young lives,” Bauder said, addressing a small group of supporters. \nBeyond activists’ work, a recent political happening has also indicated a potential shift in Indiana’s traditional limiting of GLBT rights. Earlier this month, an amendment to ban same-sex marriage failed to receive sufficient support in a House committee. For some, this was an encouraging step as they predicted same-sex marriage would be legalized for the next generation of Hoosiers. \nCurrently, however, the most active work seems to occur on the ground level. \n“I’ve been able to open the minds of tons of people this year, even more than last year,” said sophomore Ben Zamojski, adding that he is still unsure if political change was on the horizon. \n“(The disrespect) just kind of numbs you after a while.”