Sunday, June 16

County distributes blue ribbons for abuse awareness

Monthlong campaign aims to spread the word

“To whom it may concern.”\nIt was the opening phrase of an e-mail sent to the Indiana Daily Student newsroom from the Monroe County Department of Child and Family Services. The letter, which has been sent to numerous businesses, agencies and newsrooms around Bloomington, contained a reminder about April, a reminder about support and awareness – a reminder about child abuse. \nWith 1,327 investigated reports of child abuse or neglect in Monroe County from July 1, 2004 to June 30, 2005, according to the Indiana Department of Child Services, the question remains: Whom does this issue concern?\nMaryAnna Moore, an investigator with the Monroe County department, says the answer is everyone.\n“This is our biggest year (for awareness) so far,” she said. “Our main goal is to spread the word and let people know that they can help stop child abuse.” \nIn order to relay its message of awareness, the Monroe County Department of Child Services will be distributing blue ribbons for free. \nThe Blue Ribbon Campaign, started in 1989 by a Virginian grandmother in protest of her grandchild’s death as a result of child abuse, has resulted in the distribution of more than 3,000 ribbons that currently don the lapels and collars of community leaders, hospital agency staffers, law enforcement officials and “concerned” residents. \n“We are grateful to everyone who is showing support by wearing a ribbon,” Moore said.\nThis gratitude also extends to IU Police Department squad cars. Special blue ribbon magnets have been delivered to officers for their vehicles, Moore said. \nLt. Tom Lee of IUPD confirmed that all marked vehicles, and even some of the unmarked cars, are currently sporting the magnets to “demonstrate the regard IUPD has for April being Child Abuse Awareness month.”\n“As a law enforcement agency, certainly our officers see a lot of things,” he said. “When children are involved, it’s hard not to take things to heart.”\nIn addition to the ribbon campaign, the Monroe County Department of Child Services will hold a candlelight vigil on April 26 in remembrance of all abuse and neglect victims. The service will begin at 6 p.m. at the Sample Gates, located on Indiana Avenue. From there, attendees will walk to the Courthouse Square where they will have the opportunity to listen to guest speakers talk about the issue and, perhaps more importantly, discuss ways they can stop it. \n“Children are our future,” Lee said. “They aren’t equipped to protect themselves. We should all give a little extra to make sure they are provided with a safe environment.” \nThose who wish to show their support by wearing a ribbon may pick one up free of charge at the Monroe County Department of Child Services, 401 E. Miller Drive.