Black Student Union elects executive board

President says more ‘empowering’ activities to come

The IU Black Student Union announced its 2007-08 executive board members on April 9.\nPresident-elect Markisha Bates said she’d like to see the union develop programs to attract more students to become members of the organization.\n“We encourage more African-American students to become involved with BSU,” Bates said. “Our mission is to empower the black students on campus, raising awareness of their interests through educational and social programs.”\nBates, a junior, said the organization has plans to expand during the next year. \n“I plan on working with various diversity groups on campus to develop a closer bond between us,” she said. “I would like for all organizations to be able to come together and lay things on the table so that we can all work together to make the college experience better.”\nVice-president-elect China Burr said she has similar plans. \n“We could talk with the chancellor, the dean or the Office of Admissions to either implement or increase a diversity scholarship as an incentive to motivate and encourage students to come to IU,” said Burr, the organization’s secretary. “If we help students financially, especially the minorities that may not have funds to come to college, there would probably be more minorities in college, period.”\nBurr also mentioned the possibilities of several events, including a statewide BSU fashion show and sponsored trips to other universities to survey other black student union organizations.\nBurr stressed the importance of getting high-school students involved, as well. \n“If we have more multicultural and minority events to bring high-school students from across the state of Indiana, and have other minorities speak and stress the importance of higher education, they would probably be more eager to come to college,” Burr said.\nTreasurer-elect freshman Monique Jernigan said she hopes to increase diversity within the organization and to focus on the betterment of black students. \n“I’d like to see us extend our fellowship to other organizations that are all about the bettering of students at IU,” said Jernigan. “And I’d like to see us increase and maintain members and membership involvement, because that is why we are here – for the students.”\nSophomore Brannon Smith, the secretary-elect, said he joined the BSU to support IU’s black community. Smith said the Black Student Union is considered “the voice of black IU.”\n“My motivation for joining the BSU executive board stems from a desire to make that voice stronger through increased membership and increased campus visibility overall,” he said.\nBates also stressed the importance of the union as a voice for black students on campus.\n“We are the black voice of IU, and it is important that we know any comments, concerns or issues that need to be addressed,” Bates said. “It is all about making the students here at IU feel comfortable amongst one another"