Who let the blogs out?

Have you ever stayed up way past your usual bedtimes reading useless ramblings on message boards on the Web?\nIf your answer is “no,” then you should rethink your Internet reading decisions. I must bow down to the blogging powers from above and admit that I have spent a significant amount of time reading these boards of late.\nI recently arrived at ESPN’s message board to see what the average fan thought of Scottie Pippen’s potential return. I think it’s a joke, but that’s for another day. While perusing the board, I ran across a four-page debate on the differences between NBA and NHL fights, and the posts were astounding.\nAlthough I have a strong opinions on the subject, I feel the need to let the posts do the talking.\nThe initial argument started due to the large Buffalo/Ottawa fight last Thursday night, which for those of you who didn’t watch, was a hockey fight at its finest.\nThe dispute turned to the usual race issue since the NBA is perceived as predominately African-American while the NHL is perceived as predominately European. \nBut the next argument displays the beauty of blogging. DumpsterAgain posted, “Big Ben would wreck any of those white crackers in the NHL. BOOK IT!!!” \nFollowing this, IdiotsEverywhere posted, “Those NBA guys can’t fight unless they have a gun or its 8 on 1; 3/4 of the hockey guys would tear up anyone in the NBA.”\nStyl_N_K continued by writing, “hockey players are a million times tougher then NBA players...the way Wade went down from his shoulder separation...an NHL player would have gotten up easily and went into the dressing room.”\nThe argument went on and on. People even started citing resources, posting links to YouTube videos that displayed hockey and basketball fights, causing my amazement and obsession with the board to reach a new height.\nAfter perusing these boards for hours upon hours, I can now honestly say they are the greatest creation since the mullet. They have become the global bickering headquarters for bored souls.\nPeople from all different cultures can come together to argue about completely irrelevant topics. Defamation and libel aside, these boards are a great invention that bring the First Amendment to new levels.\nNot everyone has been graced with the opportunity the IDS has given me to ramble on about professional athletes who do things I can only dream of. But blogging has opened the doors for average Joes to post their thoughts and dissatisfactions in a public forum, and I think it’s great.\nSo argue, bicker, rant and rave, America. It’s your chance to let your thoughts be known.\nAnd if you don’t want to, you can always keep reading what I think.