UPDATE 10:33 p.m.: Hoeppner skipping spring practice for health reasons

INDIANAPOLIS – IU coach Terry Hoeppner, who has had brain surgery twice in the last 15 months, will skip spring practice for health reasons.\nAthletic director Rick Greenspan said in a statement Sunday night Hoeppner had indicated a desire to regain his strength and energy after a rigorous recruiting campaign. Assistant head coach Bill Lynch will be in a charge of the team when it begins practice on Tuesday.\n“My faith, my family and the Indiana Football program are the most important things in my life,” Hoeppner said. “In order to serve them best and make a full recovery, I need to take some time away to regain my strength and energy.”\nIt’s the third time in less than two years that Hoeppner has temporarily left the team. He had brain surgery in December 2005 and was limited in recruiting and overseeing the Hoosiers’ offseason activities leading up to spring practice in 2006.\nIn September, Hoeppner again left the team to have brain surgery for a possible tumor. He was expected to miss two to four weeks, but returned after missing only two games. Hoeppner later said the test results revealed the best possible news, implying that doctors removed scar tissue rather than a tumor.\nWith Hoeppner back on the sideline, the Hoosiers moved into position to become bowl-eligible for the first time since 1993. But Indiana lost its final three games and failed to qualify, finishing 5-7.\nAthletic department spokesman Jeff Keag said Hoeppner has not had any additional surgery since the season ended, but declined to give a detailed update on Hoeppner’s health, citing privacy concerns.\nNear the end of the season there was speculation that Hoeppner might step aside because for health reasons.\nInstead, he signed a two-year contract extension in December.\nHoeppner said in the statement Sunday that he still intended to coach the Hoosiers this season and in future years.\n“We have encouraged Terry to make his family and health a top priority,” Greenspan said. “All of us are hopeful for a quick and full recovery with coach Hoeppner returning to lead the Indiana football program.”\nLynch also coached the team during Hoeppner’s absence last fall.\nThe former Ball State coach had a career record of 81-67-3 in 14 seasons as a head coach, including eight with the Cardinals, before joining Hoeppner’s staff in 2005. He lost both games as the interim coach last season.\nHoeppner reiterated his confidence in Lynch’s ability to lead the program this spring.\nLynch said he hoped Hoeppner would return to the team quickly and promised to help the Hoosiers make continue their progression this spring.\n“Our coaching staff will effectively guide this program’s progress throughout the spring practice period as we look to prepare for a successful season,” he said.\nHoeppner is 9-14 in two seasons with the Hoosiers, but has not yet ended the Hoosiers’ bowl drought, which is the longest in the Big Ten.\nBut he has bigger plans for the Hoosiers and said he still intends to fulfill them.\n“As I prepare to do so, I appreciate the media and our supporters respecting my family’s privacy as we handle this personal matter,” he said. “Likewise, we are grateful for all the well wishes we have received from Hoosier fans everywhere.”\nThe Hoosiers have scheduled 15 practices, culminating in the annual spring game April 14.