Team members compete for their teammates

Rowing is one of the few sports in which there is no one standout person who can make or break, win or lose, a race. \nWe have to rely on the eight other people in the boat with us, knowing we are all working ourselves, giving all we have to get that boat across that finish line as fast as possible – together.\nSome call what we do a noble madness. But if you ask any girl on this team why she goes through what she does day in and day out, she would most likely – although maybe not as abrasively – tell you she would rather die than let down the rest of the girls in that boat by not giving everything she has, every stroke.\nWe have returned now from our spring training trip and race season kick-off in Clemson, S.C. \nAlthough we as a team may not have raced as we would have liked, or come away with the results that we all thought we were capable of, the work we did during the week was definitely a huge step in the right direction. \nWe started off the week with a team goal: no matter what seat, boat, or circumstance, to make that boat go as fast as possible, give our all and row well. \nThroughout the week, you could feel everyone was doing just that, and using the goal as just another motivational tool to earn the seat in which we sat when it came to race day.\nOur sights now are set on Wisconsin, when the Badgers come to race us at home on Lake Lemon this Saturday. \nThe vibe in the boathouse is noticeably competitive, something we are going to need to harness to race well. Every one of us knows there is a lot more speed to be had and that nobody’s seat is safe. Wisconsin will be fast, and we know that. But when it comes to race day, the first boat across that line will be the boat that came ready to step up and race.\nWe all know we are going to have to work hard for the results we want and think we can produce. But with work comes anticipation and excitement for what is to come.\nGo Hoosiers!\nEditor’s note: Indiana fell to Wisconsin in all three races of both the varsity eight, second varsity eight and third varsity eight on Saturday, March 24, at Lake Lemon.