Professor uses grant to fund Senegal symposium

Eileen Julien has a vision.\nJulien, a professor of comparative literature at IU, is one of several professors benefiting from a $1 million grant given to IU faculty through the New Frontiers in the Arts and Humanities Program.\nThe grant is intended to fund several projects around different IU campuses. \nJulien is using her share of the money to organize a symposium focusing on the cultural, artistic and literary history of Senegal, the westernmost country in Africa. The event revolves around two prominent Senegalese figures: Birago Diop and Léopold Sédar Senghor. \nThe symposium will feature films, documentaries, debates, art exhibits and poetry readings. Julien’s goal is not to teach, but to explore. She said her goal is to understand the impact cultural history has on modern Senegalese life – on young people in particular. Julien said she wants students to think about how the impact of culture and history in their lives compares with similar issues among Senegalese youth.\n“The prerequisite (for attending the symposium) is curiosity,” Julien said. “There’s something to learn here.” \nFor interested students, the event is simply an organized lecture. The symposium will host lunches, discussions and interactive debates in which they can participate. \nFor science-minded students, Colin Allen, a professor of history and philosophy of science and another beneficiary of the New Frontiers program, offers an in-depth look at one of the oldest and most controversial scientific debates: nature versus nurture. His upcoming conference will examine the relationship between environmental influences and biological makeup and their roles in determining human behavior.\n“You may think, ‘What does this have to do with arts and humanities?’” Allen said. “But actually, many of the concepts discussed within arts and humanities are dependent upon understanding the sciences. So it is important. Thinking about nature and nurture together suggests a whole lot of opportunities for improving education.”\nMichael McRobbie, interim provost and vice president for academic affairs and incoming IU president, said in a University news release that, “Excellence in the arts and humanities has traditionally been one of IU’s greatest strengths, and New Frontiers is now a vital program that enables us to continue to build on this tradition in new and dynamic ways.”