ONLINE ONLY: Legendary Toots and Maytals at Bluebird tonight

The casual reggae fan knows of Bob Marley, but for more than 40 years Toots and the Maytals have spanned all Jamaican styles and genres from ska to rock-steady in their unique blend of reggae. Most well known for “54-46 that’s my number” and “Pressure Drop” the band reached new acclaim for their compilation album where they collaborated with Eric Clapton, Trey Anastacio, Jeff Beck and Keith Richards among others.\nBluebird owner Dave Kubiak welcomes the classic root-rock reggae legends to Bloomington tonight for the second year in a row. Less than a year after their April 2006 performance they’re back for another show tonight at 9 p.m. for $20.\n“They’ve won a Grammy – it’s a pretty big deal,” Kubiak said. “He’s a classic Jamaican reggae artist. For us to have Toots is a pretty big deal.” \nBluebird promoter Aaron Estabrook said the band has been popular in the U.S. but they are even bigger in Jamaica.\n“Oh yeah, they’re legends over there,” Estabrook said. “They’re in such high demand everywhere they go.”\nToots is described on their Web site as being “One of the most enduring of all Jamaican groups” and “Jamaican music with unrivaled delivery and dynamism.” \nGetting the crowd warmed up will be opening band To Bad Krew, which marks their first appearance at Bluebird and in the Midwest for that matter. Kubiack said he has heard good things from the reggae band. \nIt’s been more than 40 years since Toots and the Maytals got together and just one year since they played in Bloomington, but the number they’re most known for is “54-46.” The song is named after Toots’ prison number after a much publicized stint in prison for marijuana possession. The band also gained fame for having songs in the Jimmy Cliff film “The Harder They Come” and are on the listening list for the rock music of the ‘70s and ‘80s class.\nBluebird promoter Aaron Estabrook said Toots is a legend in Jamaica and that he ranks second only to Bob Marley in writing Reggae standards.\nSeveral hundred tickets have already been sold for the legendary reggae band’s performance tonight in Bloomington. Kubiak said and he expects them to range from college students to reggae fans from around the country.\n“Toots always draws a great crowd,” Kubiak said. “People travel from all over the place. It’s something special every time they come.”