Mind Control has no control

Legendary reggae artist Bob Marley had 13 children. Many of them went on to become musicians themselves. Child No. 4, Stephen, who is known for his work in his brother Ziggy's group, The Melody Makers, and producing his brother Damian's albums now has his own debut album out. Ya mon.\nStephen has generated a lot of hype with his previous work, winning Grammy after Grammy. Mind Control showcases his abilities as an MC but falls short in several places. Stephen relies too much on guest appearances from the likes of brothers Julian and Damian, Mos Def and Ben Harper. These cameos merely bog things down in places and are unnecessary; Stephen's talented enough to carry his own weight.\nWhat Stephen does accomplish is creating an island feel and mixing it with hip-hop, R&B, rock and dance hall. \nThe single, "The Traffic Jam," (featuring Damian and Buju Baton), is very dance hall, but sadly is annoying as hell. "Chase Dem" is the most old-school reggae-sounding song, very reminiscent of his father's brand of reggae. Stephen's voice sounds very similar to his father's while still sounding very unique.\nModern reggae is overproduced and Mind Control is no exception. The appeal of reggae is that islanders, many of whom live impoverished lives, get together and play a very raw, emotional form of music. Stephen's songs are still very political and personal. On "Iron Bars," he wails, "I'm a prisoner, locked up for what? Freedom of speech ain't got all we got." He's very socially aware, and it shines throughout this album.\nAs diverse as Mind Control is, Stephen is strongest when recreating the sound of Bob and staying true to the roots of reggae. The hip-hop beats are weak and take away from the authentic reggae feel. Better than Damian, not as good as Bob and definitely not Toots.