Monday, June 17

McRobbie to receive annual performance reviews

Salary is average among other public university leaders

Along with a $40,000 pay jump, soon-to-be University President Michael McRobbie will be subjected to more scrupulous University review than his predecessor, according to the terms of his contract.\nMcRobbie, who is poised to replace departing University President Adam Herbert on July 1, has agreed to an employment contract that remains similar to Herbert’s in many ways. Still, certain key differences suggest IU’s trustees might incorporate a more hands-on approach when dealing with IU’s next leader.\nUnder the agreement, McRobbie will annually undergo an assessment of his “performance” by the University trustees. In addition, when McRobbie’s contract comes up for renewal every five years, “a more comprehensive review of the president shall occur,” according to the contract.\nSimilar annual review agreements are common among leaders in these high level positions, McRobbie said. Details regarding the processes of the review are still “being worked out,” he added. \n“The review will include consideration of the achievements and the accomplishments of the president in meeting or making progress towards the goals, objectives and priorities” set by University officials in the previous year, according to the contract. \nHerbert’s contract never stipulated a similar annual trustee performance review. IU’s president will step down July 1 – 13 months before his contract’s expiration. \nThis type of contract variation is not particularly unusual, one faculty member said, viewing this added stipulation as in-line with a University-wide trend. \nSue Tuohy, an IU assistant professor of Folklore said she didn’t find this type of review particularly odd. She added that she thought this would actually be a review of both McRobbie and his entire team, not just the president himself. \nCurrently, every University faculty member receives an annual evaluation and report, which focuses on three areas, she said: teaching, research and service. \n“Over the past several decades, there has been increased attention to monitoring objectives,” Tuohy said, and that there was “always someone paying attention to what you are doing.”\nAddressing the Bloomington Faculty Council on Monday, McRobbie thanked members for their support since his confirmation. He added that much of his jam-packed schedule since his acceptance of the position has been consumed by travel and delivering speeches to leaders across the state. \n“I thought it was necessary to visit all of our regional campuses and facilities around the state, bearing in mind the statewide reach of the University, and the statewide support that we enjoy,” he said in an address to the Council.\nEven with the substantial salary bump, McRobbie’s earnings will still fall within the nationwide average for public University presidents. According to research conducted by the Chronicle of Higher Education, most public university presidents earned between $300,000 and $400,000 annually last year. These paychecks are typically lower than their private university counterparts, the research found. \nOne of McRobbie’s fellow Big Ten presidents topped the earnings list last year. Mary Sue Coleman, president of the University of Michigan received $724,604, according to the Chronicle’s research. \nNationwide, Audrey Doberstein, president of the private Wilmington College in Delaware grossed the most of any university president according to the Chronicle’s data last year. She reportedly cashed in over $1.3 million.\nMcRobbie will replace the departing Herbert July 1. His unanimous confirmation came during a public trustee vote just two weeks ago. The approval of his appointment concluded a nine-month long search that pitted two University leaders as finalists for the position. \nSeveral faculty members, including Tuohy, have praised McRobbie’s appointment over the past two weeks. They have said his proven leadership tract record and goals for IU speaks greatly about a clear vision and path for the future of the University.