IU nabs record day at UNLV Spring Invitational

“Rebounding” is usually a term associated with basketball. But as far as the IU women’s golf team is concerned, it can be used to describe the team’s performance at the UNLV Spring Invitational. \nAfter several disappointing tournaments, the Hoosiers bounced back in a big way to finish fourth and set a school record with a score of 864. That score beat out the previous low of 885 set in 2003 at the Lady Seahawk Invitational. \nIU coach Clint Wallman was complimentary of the effort afterward.\n“Obviously, I’m pleased with our finish in the tournament,” Wallman said in a statement. “To finish even par in a three-day event is very, very good”. \nLeading the way for the Hoosiers for the second time this year was junior Elaine Harris, who tied for 10th and was named Big Ten golfer of the week for the first time in her career. She became the first such Hoosier to earn that honor this season. \nAlso competing for the Hoosiers were freshmen Anita Gahir and Laura Nochta, who placed 16th and 18th respectively, Junior transfer Lauren Harling and freshman Kellye Belcher placed 26th and 34th. Competing as an individual, sophomore Amber Lindgren tied for 29th.\nThe competition saw 18 teams take part with Brigham Young taking the title with a score of 847. Rounding out the top five were New Mexico, Idaho, IU and host UNLV.\nIU returns to competition Saturday when it competes in the Mountain View Collegiate Tournament in Tucson, Ariz.