'Host' with the most

Haven't heard about "The Host" yet? Well, it's time to get educated. \n"The Host" comes from director Joon-ho Bong, whose "Memories of Murder," alongside "Oldboy," is possibly the greatest film to come out of Korea. It's the story of a small, dysfunctional family that owns a food stand next to the Han River. One day crowds of people along the shoreline happen to notice a giant creature hanging under the bridge. Suddenly it drops into the water and swims over; the people obviously think it is friendly and start tossing food at it. Turns out the only food it craves is humans as it bursts out of the river and begins devouring everyone in its path and managing to capture little Park Hyun-seo, the littlest member of the Park family. Now it is up to her father, brother, sister and uncle to save her from the monster, that is if she's still alive. \nOne word alone can describe "The Host:" fun. As other critics have already said, the film is practically a mixture of "'Godzilla' meets 'Little Miss Sunshine,'" which is an easy comparison to make if you've seen either of those movies. Sure, at times it is rather terrifying, but most of the time I was laughing my ass off at the ridiculous antics of the Park family and the drastic measures they're willing to go to save little Hyun-seo. \nThe CG monster, while not the best looking digital creation, is certainly disturbing enough in appearance with its five mouths and thousands of teeth. The way it barrels through everything in the landscape, how it does countless backflips underneath the bridge and even swallows its prey, this beastie is impressive to watch. And just like Godzilla was Japan's post-atomic bomb parable on why we should avoid using nuclear weapons, "The Host" is Korea's answer to why we need to stop polluting our world. It carries the message well and is entertaining as hell, so what more reason do you need to go see it?