Don’t choke the riders’ voices

The spirit of this year’s Little 500 will proceed as it has since its inception in 1951. The riders have and continue to prepare tirelessly for April 20 and 21. Sweat, blood and tears have been shed over hours of self-discipline, and for one team in each respective race, it will pay off in victory. Those who are defeated can hold their heads high in accomplishment of completion.\nBut there is a serious problem facing the riders of Little 500 this year as they draw nearer to race day. As a result of the student coaching initiative, alumni coaches will not be allowed in the pit. Instead, student coaches have been required to coach in the pits on race day for all 64 teams, while alumni coaches stand behind a fence.\nWhile the implications of the initiative with regard to strategy and intangibles (ranging from structuring riding schedules to giving helpful tips) are exponential, more disheartening is the attitude of the IU Student Foundation, which organizes the event. As a result of their decision, an immediate outcry against the initiative rose from both alumni coaches and riders, the result of which was a petition denouncing the rule signed by almost 80 riders. But instead of listening to the riders, IUSF stuck to their principle: Let the riders deliberate until blue in the face, but they were not budging.\nA storming movement for the deletion of the rule was quelled. This in itself, as the initiative intricately affects those in opposition (who also represent the most vital body to the successful continuation of Little 500), is a serious misuse of the authority granted to IUSF. But what strikes a very ironic note is that the riders of Little 500 are bearing witness to the censorship of a student group, not by the IU administration as might be expected, but by an IU organization with “student” in its name. As it would appear, IUSF is operating in a “monkey-see, monkey-do” mind-set. The IU administration has been subject to criticism for shutting out student voice for years, and, rather than identifying straight rejection of voice as poor policy, IUSF has adopted the bureaucratic tool.\nRiders are continuing their attempt to be heard in the form of the Web site RidersDeserveAVoice.org, where they identify that “While operating a student oriented organization in an inward-looking manner may have been acceptable in the distant past, by seasoned leaders exercising moderation, it is now clearly seen as contrary to the core values of the very University community in which IUSF seeks to further its ideals.”\nThis repetition of rider sentiment here, however, will most likely serve little purpose in an attempt to achieve the opening of IUSF’s ears in this manner. Rather, the sentiment is already known and has thus far had little effect. The love of the race by Little 500 riders and coaches (alumni and hopefully students alike) will keep them on their bikes and holding their clipboards. \nIUSF is in the powerful position to make any decision it sees fit in the organization of Little 500, rendering an infuriating dynamic for the avoidance of accountability.