Sunday, June 16

‘America’s Educator’ to share teaching experience

Ron Clark’s work basis of made-for-TV movie

The man known as “America’s Educator” is expected to fill seats and warm hearts at the Indiana Memorial Union’s Alumni Hall as he steps into the spotlight Tuesday night. \nRon Clark, the 2000 recipient of Disney’s American Teacher of the Year Award, will speak to audience members about his experiences in improving the education system for disadvantaged students across the country – a role that led his life straight to the big screen. \nHe became a Hollywood sensation when “The Ron Clark Story”, made its debut in 2006 with “Friends” star Matthew Perry taking on the role of Clark. Perry was nominated for a Golden Globe for his performance.\nNow taking a year off from his classroom duties, Clark now shares his experiences on the road, speaking all over the country.\nSensation or not, Union Board Lectures Director Hana Ros said that it is Clark’s charisma that makes him appealing to a wide variety of people.\n“He is really an exciting, inspirational, motivational person,” she said. “He not only makes people excited about opportunities for low-income children but has an innovative style of teaching. It’s a great opportunity to have him here at IU.”\nSponsoring the lecture was an opportunity the Wells Scholar Program just couldn’t turn down, said Charlene Brown, associate director of the Wells Scholar Program . \n“I think students will be inspired to learn and be impressed with what he has set out to accomplish, as well as with his interest with connecting disadvantaged students with the rest of the world,” she said.\nBrown also believes Clark’s thoughts could inspire the minds of students from majors across the University.\n“What I’m impressed by is that there is a spirit among a lot of students on this campus, and we see this as something for a full range of students,” she said. “It is how people in a wide variety in social and economic circumstances can achieve things and see that education is important and meaningful.\n“I think people see education as an essential part of today’s democracy. If we are unable to educate our citizens properly, we will not be successful as a democracy.”\nAfter his lecture, audience members will have the chance to participate in a Q-and-A session as well as a book signing for “The Essential 55,” Clark’s New York Times best-seller based on his teaching experiences in Harlem.\nDiana Lambdin, associate dean for teacher education, said students in the Education School are excited to hear from Clark firsthand.\n“I think people are always interested in hearing real-life stories from experienced teachers,” she said. “We know how excited our students get when they are able to work with or hear from award-winning teachers who have met the challenges of their work.”\nAnd with motivational speaking, national award-winning, New York Times best-selling author and Hollywood inspiration on his repertoire, Clark certainly fits the bill.