All that could have been ...and more

For those of who think Trent Reznor has lost a step with age and sold out, what with a more radio-friendly recent album, a shorter haircut and his getting in shape, you're wrong. Beside You In Time is a great performance from one of the greatest artists of our time. This DVD documents the winter leg of Nine Inch Nails' North American "With Teeth" tour at Oklahoma City and El Paso. \nAmazing lighting effects timed perfectly with the songs, such as a 30-foot-high LED display that looks like it's dripping blood, complement the music and performance. Trent Reznor puts more energy into his music on stage than Diamond Dave or The King of Pop ever did (minus swords with streamers and rhinestone gloves, of course). Yes, some say the latest album is more "mainstream," but after watching this DVD, what you realize is that the genius of NIN isn't in the songs on their own as an album but in Reznor's ability to keep changing and modifying them so they sound new each time.\nOld favorites such as "Head like a Hole," "Closer" and "Eraser" are played in a way that makes them sound fresh without being remixes. In "Head Like a Hole" alone, the keyboardist and guitar player jump on the keyboard, and it actually sounds like the noise was meant to be there. What's also amazing is the way they make songs that were made by one man with one machine sound awesome with live instruments. And let's face it, if you're in Nine Inch Nails and your name isn't Trent Reznor, you have about as much job security as a lead singer for Van Halen (just ask the lead singer of the band Filter).\n It would have been nice to see personal favorites such as "The Mark Has Been Made" and "Reptile," but this concert DVD, which also features a few tracks from the summer leg of the tour, live rehearsals, two videos from "With Teeth," a photo gallery and a discography, is definitely worth buying for any fan, new or old.