Saw this one coming

Jigsaw is back, and he is up to the same old games. The third installment is bigger and gorier than ever before. It seems to serve as the huge finale to the series, or so we hope. While the first movie was not exactly perfect, it still brought a new element to the horror genre that was a fresh breath of air: making death a game. This novel idea only really lasts so long though. As the series progresses, the traps and twists just get more ridiculous.\n"Saw III" starts off with Jigsaw on his deathbed, with his apprentice Amanda struggling to keep him alive. So Amanda kidnaps Lynn, a depressed doctor, involving her in a game where if Jigsaw dies, she dies as well. There is also another ongoing game of a man coming across people associated with his son's death with the choice to save them from their traps or let them die. All the while there are flashbacks linking the series together. The two games end up coming together for the biggest and most elaborate series of twists in the "Saw" series.\nThis, however, does not make it the best of the series. In fact, it is probably the worst. Although there is more gore, traps and twists than ever, they are more repetitive and less puzzling then ever. Also the acting is extremely poor, not only lacking in known actors, but actual acting. Much of the acting in the trap scenes is over-the-top and not very believable. The general premise is different, but that does not make it a good one. "Saw II's" fun house setup was interesting but was more silly than anything. Horror movies are made scary by the element of surprise, something the "Saw" series now lacks. With its continual use of Billy the puppet, the pig masks and similar traps, "Saw III" is more of the same, something you do not want in a horror series. At this point we can only hope this is the end of "Saw."\nThe special features, however, are better than average. The features include three standard commentaries with varying combinations of the director, writer, editors and producers. It includes some interesting features on the making of the movie, like the making of the traps and props. There is also a director's diary and a few deleted scenes, but overall, I would only recommend this DVD to hardcore "Saw" fans.