Roe v. Wade anniversary reminds of the dangers of illegal abortion

Roe v. Wade turned 34 last week. Since 1973 and before, abortion has been a most contested and controversial issue in America.\nAbortions have always been performed. But when abortions are illegal, they are unsafe. Abortion first became illegal in Europe and the United States when the medical profession became institutionalized. Male doctors realized that women and midwives had a realm of knowledge outside their professional control. Nevertheless, these doctors learned and performed abortions illegally, for a high price. Accordingly, the women most affected by illegal abortions were those who could not afford to pay for safe ones -- that is, poor and minority women. If abortion becomes illegal, that same group will suffer the consequences.\nThe state and federal governments have restricted abortion access through legal loopholes and the passage of new laws for the past 34 years, limiting Roe v. Wade's original ruling. Women seeking abortions are often bearers of "undue burden." The decision whether to have an abortion is undoubtedly a difficult one and is a deeply personal issue. The law must allow for the freedom to choose.\nFeminist Majority Leadership Alliance is a pro-choice group. Contrary to popular belief, feminists do not like abortions. Instead, we think comprehensive sex education in public schools and better distribution of birth-control information prevent unwanted pregnancy. Unfortunately, our state governments do not feel the same way. "Abstinence-only" education spreads ignorance and sexual anxiety instead of helpful knowledge that could prevent abortions.\nThough abortion is politicized in a variety of ways and is complicated by hundreds of arguments, essentially, legal abortion preserves the health and safety of women. Looking to the past of illegal abortions shows us that women are harmed by unsafe, illegal practices. In examining the present we see that this issue is not being dealt with properly by our lawmakers. A woman's right to choose should be preserved, not limited by law, and the anniversary of Roe v. Wade reminds us of this.\nFeminist Majority Leadership Alliance