Purdue puts a number on Hoosiers

Carl Landry and David Teague came to play. Let me put this one in perspective for you, with the aid of some numbers.\nBack in Bloomington on Jan. 10, the Boilermakers' star duo tallied 24 points between each other -- Landry netted 13, while Teague scored 11. IU crushed the Boilermakers at every turn that game, winning by a margin of 85-58.\nIn West Lafayette on Thursday night, Landry had 22 all by himself. And Teague? He threw in a career-high 32. \nPurdue coach Matt Painter was disgusted with his team's play after that game in Bloomington back in January.\n"They just flat kicked us," he said following his team's drubbing.\nWell, Thursday night in West Lafayette, it was the Boilermakers applying the kick to the Hoosiers, handing them their worst lost of the season, 81-68.\nIt seemed when Teague wasn't splashing trifectas from the outside -- he tallied six on the night -- Landry was dropping buckets over IU forward D.J. White's head. And when neither of those actions were going down, Purdue freshman Chris Kramer was sacrificing his body and taking charges. (That dude is a pest.)\nWant some more stats? \nLandry finished 8-of-11 from the floor. He also had 11 boards. Teague, though not quite as impressive as Landry, still finished about 60 percent shooting on the night, hitting 11-of-18 shots.\nAt half, it looked as if White might emerge as the star of Thursday night's game. That tends to happen when you drop 16 points in the first half and grab five boards. But, as has happened before this season after a hot first half, White went silent in the last 18 or so minutes of the game. \nHis second half numbers? Four points. Three rebounds. \nCredit the Boilermakers for D-ing up on D.J. \nAnd in IU's defense, the game's final score didn't quite do this game justice. It was competitively close most of the second half until the Hoosiers let it slip away in the final minutes.\nI predicted a loss for IU in Thursday's edition of the IDS. I feel like the Hoosiers were bound to lose this game. They rode a four-game win streak against the Boilermakers into Thursday night's game. Purdue hadn't beaten IU since Feb. 14, 2004. That makes 1,096 days Hoosiers Nation had the opportunity to rub it in against their Boilermaker counterparts. IU also owns this series as of late. Dating back to February of 2000, IU is a rather impressive 13-3 against the Boilermakers, especially considering Purdue leads the all-time series, 109-81. Something had to give eventually. Too many numbers outside the court were working against the Hoosiers on Thursday night.\nTwo numbers on the court were working against them as well.\nNo. 14 and No. 2 -- Carl Landry and David Teague.