Publishing of column a mistake by IDS editors

I read an opinion piece by Abram Hess, “Fathers and mothers” (Feb. 1). It was blasting the U.K. for supporting adoption amongst homosexual couples.\nMy personal politics and sense of logic disagrees profoundly with Mr. Hess’ opinion and rationale. I do not understand how a couple devoted enough to go through the rigorous process of adoption should be deemed worthy of a child simply because of who they think is cute.\nI also criticize why this piece was in the paper. Our news services are to provide one thing only: an informed world view of current events. When columns become hate speech and pulpit thumping, I wonder how it’s considered printable.\nMr. Hess makes a statement: “I don’t know what the impetus behind homosexual adoption is, but I’ll posit a guess: It’s thought that raising kids might somehow lend legitimacy to the sham of gay marriages.”\nThis is an uninformed opinion that directly attacks Americans and a national demographic. It’s an inflammatory statement that has little to do with the child-rearing abilities of anyone. This is not a writing of substance, and does nothing to stimulate thoughtful discussion.\nThis is the second time Mr. Hess has been published in the IDS with inflammatory opinions and aggressive language. This is not just printing a column that gets people fired up; it is permitting unformed arguments that validate and encourage poor behavior. There is nothing more damaging to compromise and debate than a publication supporting narrow-minded and insulting perspectives on issues.\nMr. Hess closed his piece with the following line: “But for the good of the orphan, he’s much better off in the hands of 20 Christian women dedicated to caring for orphans than in the hands of two men dedicated to having sex with each other.”\nIt saddens me that people working for a university publication feel that this is a coherent, responsible and, most importantly, newsworthy piece. Mr. Hess is very much entitled to his opinion, but it’s the IDS’s responsibility to understand what goes to print.\nCharles Pearce\nStudent