Potential cult classic

Ever wondered what a science fiction rock-opera about a Marie Antoinette robot would sound like? I hadn't either, but Waking the Mystics by Sophe Lux features a track that is, in fact, a seven-minute rock opera that tackles that outlandish scenario. Miniature rock operas aside, this album is a serious departure from almost anything you can imagine. \nSophe Lux is a five-person collective led by the American Society of Composers and Publishers Songwriter Award-winning Gwynneth Haynes. This art-rock quintet is relatively unknown to most people outside of the Pacific Northwest, but is gaining a reputation for its imaginative music and dynamic concerts. Waking the Mystics is the group's second full-length effort and first release in nearly five years. \nWaking the Mystics is a genuinely unique sonic experience. Blending elements of Western classical music, opera, pop, rock and at times even country and gospel, the album is full of unexpected twists. Not only does the album deteriorate the barriers between genres, but changes in tempo are also surprising and further stir the sonic stew Sophe Lux has created. In addition, the entire experience is anchored by Haynes's creative vocal stylings and artistic lyrical content.\nEven though the vocals are clearly at the center of the album, the instrumentation should not be sold short. Subtle use of electronic elements like loops helps add a unique dynamic to songs that are already soaked in their originality. It is stunning that the band also managed to incorporate the glockenspiel, accordion and saxophone into various songs without detracting from the experience by making the songs seem contrived.\nHowever, what does detract from the album's quality is that most of it doesn't stick. The vocal hooks are interesting and well-constructed, as is the instrumentation, but with the exception of "Target Market" and "Little Soldiers of Time," none of the songs were all that memorable. Waking the Mystics is a great collection that breaks some new ground, but still absent is the element that keeps the songs in your head after the speakers turn off. \nEven with its primary weakness, the album is still unusually satisfying. With well-crafted songs and an expressive leading lady, Waking the Mystics is poised to be a cult classic. It's fresh and inventive in many respects, but it might not have a mass appeal because it seems to be lacking the necessary components to be well-received by many music fans. However, the album is still worth looking into if you're into diverse songs, quality musicianship and creepy albino bunnies who watch young girls sleep on album covers.