IUD a cost-effective and efficient means of birth control

We need to be aware of a viable, convenient and cost-effective alternative to the current contraception methods commonly used by American women.\nWhat if there were contraception, reversible at any time, that lasted for years? What if you had no more worries about forgotten pills, having to insert a ring or those dreaded injections? What if it didn't involve hormones said to cause weight gain, depression, low sex drive, bone loss and other unwanted side effects? What if the total cost of this long-term contraception works out to be cheaper than what you pay for one year of your current choice?\nIt's all possible with the copper-T intrauterine device. As the world's most widely used method of reversible birth control, it's used by an estimated 160 million women. The device must be fitted into the uterus by a qualified medical practitioner. It remains in place the entire time pregnancy is undesired and does not release any hormones into your system. Depending on the type, a single IUD is approved for five to 12 years of use. All second-generation copper-T IUDs have failure rates of less than 1 percent per year. Copper-T IUDs are also not associated with birth defects or other pregnancy complications. The cost-effectiveness of the device after two or more years of use outweighs any other method.\nAn IUD will not protect against sexually transmitted infections. If you get an IUD, you still need to practice safe sex. Use a condom if there is any uncertainty about your partner's sexual history or test results.\nFor someone like me, with no health insurance and a limited budget, saving up $300 for a Paragard IUD and the price of a visit to the Bloomington Planned Parenthood clinic means I don't have to worry about how I'm going to afford my contraceptive choice for the next 10 years. They were especially nonjudgmental, friendly and informative at this particular clinic. I hardly have to think about my IUD, and I often forget it's there. Make time to research online and talk to your doctor about the IUD today!\nKaty Muir\nStudent