Hess misrepresent own religion with narrow-minded column

In response to Abram Hess’ column “Fathers and mothers,” in the Thursday, Feb. 1, issue of the IDS, I would like to thank Abram Hess for contributing what has to be one of the most offensive and insensitive articles pertaining to the gay community I’ve ever read in the IDS. His views are outrageous and insulting on varying levels, and not just to those in the gay community.\nI would like to ask Mr. Hess if he has spent much time talking to kids in orphanages. Sure, you have adopted siblings. But what about the kids still in the orphanages? He claims that children are better off with “20 Christian women” than with gay parents, but how would he know? Does he really assume that 20 different people can provide the same kind of love and attention that two caring parents could?\nWhich brings me to my next point: Hess concludes his article by making the assumption that gay men are “dedicated to having sex with each other.” Can he really believe this is true? Why would any member of the gay community waste their time furthering their education or joining the work force if they were really dedicated to engaging in sexual acts? I don’t think any person needs to go to college to learn how to do that, and, for that matter, I don’t think anyone lobbying for parental rights is primarily concerned with their sex life.\nFurthermore, Hess is insulting to the very Christian community in which he participates. By projecting his views on the advocacy of adoption by gay couples alongside his faith, he also projects, even if unintentionally, the stereotype that all Christians feel the same way he does. I was raised Lutheran my whole life (I spent kindergarten through eighth grade at a Lutheran school) and I certainly don’t share Mr. Hess’ viewpoint. In fact, I believe it is exactly his type of misguided, narrow-minded thinking that makes the struggle for acceptance of diversity an ongoing, uphill battle.\nNick Arnholt\nSenior