Hess’ logic leads to the taking of single parents’ children

In response to Abram Hess’ article “Fathers and mothers” (Feb. 1):\nI will first say that you are completely and totally entitled to your opinion. With that said, here’s mine:\nYou are a moron.\nFirst of all, you provide no evidence whatsoever that homosexuals are unfit as parents. That is probably because you couldn’t find any.\nAll of the research to date has reached the same unequivocal conclusion about gay parenting: the children of lesbian and gay parents grow up as successfully and as well-adjusted as the children of heterosexual parents. In fact, not a single study has found the children of lesbian or gay parents to be disadvantaged because of their parents’ sexual orientation.\nLast year, there were 500,000 children in the foster care system, 100,000 of whom needed to be adopted. However, there were qualified adoptive parents for only 20,000 of these children. Why deny two loving and happy people the opportunity to adopt a child? And even more, why deny these children the opportunity for a loving home with two loving parents? By your standards, single parents are also unfit to have children. Well, here is some information about myself.\nI was born and raised by my single mother. My father is incarcerated and will never be released. I graduated in the top five of my graduating high school class of 333 in 2004, while balancing several time-consuming extracurriculars. I was accepted to every university to which I applied (including an Ivy League or two). I received enough financial aid to attend IU for free (out-of-state). I’m the president of my fraternity, and I’m socially well-adjusted. Yet, I’m an unfit parent just because I’m gay?\nYour views on this issue are as archaic as the Red Cross’ policy on blood donations from gay people. Here’s my advice for you: Never have children. God forbid they grow up as closed-minded and ignorant as you.\nSchuyler Troy\nJunior