Funny Capote flick flops

I didn't want to make the "Infamous" vs. "Capote" decision until the end of this review, but since "Capote" was far superior in its style and execution, I can't help but make the comparison up front.\n"Infamous" is more concerned with author Truman Capote's (Toby Jones) life as part of the New York social scene than his deep psychological relationship and struggle to write his nonfiction novel-style book, "In Cold Blood." Capote's flamboyance is played up so much that he seems like an even more cartoonish version of Beverly Leslie from "Will and Grace." However, this helps emphasize just how out of place Capote was in the small Kansas town where the murders his book investigates took place (there's an amusing scene where Capote discovers the only cheese available in a supermarket is Velveeta).\nThroughout the film, annoying documentary-style interviews from Capote's supposedly famous friends (played by a bevy of celebrities, such as Sigourney Weaver and Isabella Rosellini) are used to tell the audience about Capote. Unfortunately, these interviews give no real insight into the character, rather they just inform us that Capote knew a lot of movie stars and had a large interest in fashion.\nThe film never really seems to address the seriousness of Capote's situation and uses a plucky, uplifting score rather than something with a darker, more somber tone. Even when Capote connects with the killer, Perry Smith (Daniel Craig), he never seems too torn up inside.\nJones does a fine job with the role, even when it is camped up, but yet again it pales in comparison to Phillip Seymour Hoffman's Oscar-winning version. As Capote's best friend and novelist Harper Lee, Sandra Bullock exaggerates the Southern accent slightly too much. However, "Infamous" lets Lee be more vocal than Catherine Keener was in "Capote," allowing the character to have more of a purpose than travel partner.\n"Infamous" is slim in the special features department, offering only a director's commentary from Douglas McGrath and the theatrical trailer. Couldn't they find an A&E special on Capote or something similar to include?