Don't give up on this season

It’s starting again. \nThat sinking feeling in the pit of your stomach – the one you just can’t bear to feel again.\nYes, your Hoosiers, you think they’re floundering. The ghost of Hoosier past has fully awakened. \nBut friends, there’s really no reason for the crazy amount of negativity emanating for your noggins – at least I don’t think so.\nAs a fan, it’s easy to get caught up on the “here and now” with a team. IU’s “here and now” is two straight losses. \nSo, some are starting to talk about the National Invitation Tournament. Some are saying Kelvin Sampson isn’t quite the coach everyone thought he was.\nCome on, people. Two straight losses – the first time all season the Hoosiers have lost consecutive games – and that’s it, they’re done?\nI know it’s extremely disheartening to see IU throw away victories on the road this season. They’ve been close many times, but just can’t seem to figure out how to close out games on the road. Having to see that ineptitude two straight games isn’t easy. \nI predicted IU would lose at Purdue and Michigan – two teams its owned the last few years. Especially the Wolverines, a squad the Hoosiers beat 10 consecutive times before Saturday’s loss. They couldn’t keep that streak going forever. \nNow, because the Hoosiers have come close so many times on the road this year, I really do think they’ll win at least one of their two remaining road games, either at Northwestern or Michigan State.\nSo, let’s do some math here and put this thing in perspective. \nIU has four games left in the regular season – two at home, two on the road. \nGoing 4-0 is possible, but not probable. Going 3-1 is likely. Going 2-2 would be a bit of a disappointment, but still definitely within the realm of possibly. Finishing 2-2 is the worst I see it doing, with the two remaining home games coming against Big Ten basement dwellers Penn State and Minnesota.\nSo, let’s go with IU finishing out the season 3-1. If Sampson and crew do that, they’ll finish the year 20-9 – IU’s first year of achieving 20 wins during the regular season since 1999-2000 – Bob Knight’s last year at the helm. \nThat would mean the Hoosiers are quite possibly on the verge of their best regular season in seven years.\nAnd, if they only finish 2-2, they’ll have 19 wins in the regular season for the first time in six seasons.\nAnd setting aside the prognostications for a second, guard Earl Calloway is still up in the air for Wednesday’s tilt with Minnesota due to his mild separated shoulder. I think to seal up the season at 3-1, he’s going to need to get back on the court and contribute like he’s done all Big Ten season.\nNow, if IU loses both road games and one at home, that will most certainly be a big cause for concern. \nBut, for now, everyone try and keep your pants on. OK?