The birds and bees of indie electronica

If you're part of an electronically inclined indie duo, odds are that last year went well for you. Over the past 12 months, we've seen outstanding new works from twosomes including The Knife's Silent Shout, The Blow's Paper Television and the Junior Boys' So This is Goodbye, among others. This year may be young, but another duo is poised to continue the streak with an infectious new LP released on the legendary Blue Note record label.\nThe debut self-titled release from The Bird and the Bee showcases wonderfully crafted indie-pop songs from the team of Inara George and Greg Kurstin that truly deserve to be associated with such a prestigious label. George and Kurstin allow their differing tastes and musical backgrounds to be woven together into a chic tapestry of drum machines, keyboards and the laid-back vocal styling of George herself.\nBoth George and Kurstin have been recording and releasing music for a decade in different scenarios. Kurstin, a multi-instrumentalist who studied under jazz pianist Jaki Byard, has collaborations under his belt including work with The Red Hot Chili Peppers, The Flaming Lips, Peaches and Lily Allen. George, the daughter of Little Feat's Lowell George, gained her stripes in a different manner when she formed the band Lode with friends from high school during a trip home while she was studying theater in college. Based on their musical past, it's no surprise that The Bird and the Bee have managed to create such a fluent debut record.\nFrom the start, the duo comes at you with the incredibly infectious "Again & Again" and continues on with finesse and entrancing hooks provided by George. Kurstin often subtly shows his chops by sprinkling energetic keyboard breaks to breathe more life into songs which are already brimming with it. Though a better portion of the album relies on upbeat tunes, there are some very enjoyable songs that take on a slower or more sullen tone. A prime example is the gloomy aural carousel, "I'm a Broken Heart," which manages to turn heartbreak into an enjoyable listening experience, complete with a wonderful horn accompaniment provided by guest musician David Ralicke. Even after subsequent listening, the album still retains all of its more absorbing qualities and charm.\nIt may be early in the year, but this is certainly my favorite release of 2007 thus far. The Los Angeles Times may have already put The Bird and the Bee on its "10 bands on the horizon in 2007" list, but they are now being placed on the equally esteemed "10 bands that Craig Shank enjoyed immensely in January 2007" list.