'Snakes' on a DVD

I was very skeptical when I saw the trailer for "Snakes On a Plane" because it had Samuel L. Jackson in it, but didn't look that great. A couple words came to mind: stupid, idiotic, far-fetched. It's funny because I was exactly right. Those are just a few demeaning words that perfectly describe "Snakes On a Plane" one of the biggest pieces of trash in the past year.\nSamuel L. Jackson stars as FBI agent Flynn whose job is to transport a federally-protected witness from Honolulu to Los Angeles. The only problem is this witness, Sean Jones (Nathan Phillips), is the key to putting Eddie Kim, a national Mob boss, in prison and Kim has no intentions to let Sean reach Los Angeles alive. As a ploy to see that Sean is taken care of, Kim unleashes hundreds of deadly snakes all over the plane. It's then up to agent Flynn to see that Sean and the other passengers make it to Los Angeles alive.\nBeyond this terrible movie is actually a sensational DVD to help salvage some respectability. Beyond the normal commentaries, there is actually a hilarious gag reel to stand alongside some great deleted scenes.\nThe best parts of the special features are many featurettes and behind-the-scenes looks at the movies. There is one behind-the-scenes look at the movie as a whole, which is mainly composed of interviews with the cast and crew.\nThe most impressive of the three behind-the-scenes featurettes is the crew showing how they dealt with the presence of snakes on the set and how they chose the snakes to use in the movie. There is also something that shows how they created some snakes using visual effects, which is unbelievable to see how these filmmakers do their work. Last, but certainly not least, there is a feature where the crew and Web site owners talk about the buzz that got started over this movie long before it was released.\nThis movie unsurprisingly was incredibly unrealistic in terms of plot, acting and graphics. The fact that this movie would have such a terrible plot is not surprising, as it was quite evident from the moment "Snakes On a Plane" got lots of Internet buzz before opening that it was meant to be campy. Although it was even more cheesy and ridiculous than I previously thought, its story and acting is very reminiscent of cheap horror flicks from the '70s.\nThe only thing that kept me from throwing something and shouting obscenities at the screen is the fact that Samuel L. Jackson is in it.\nAs much as I love good special features, they usually aren't enough to make me want to rent or buy a movie and they shouldn't be for this movie either. If you are going to the video store this week and want to see some good special features, then I highly suggest you rent "Snakes On a Plane," but if you want to see a good movie stay away from this joke of a movie.