Pirates sequel both entertaining and overwrought

Functioning as the "Empire Strikes Back" of the as-of-yet-unfinished "Pirates of the Carribean" trilogy (dark, anticlimactic, at times\nunnecessarily complicated), "Dead Man's Chest" showcases most of the best and some of the worst in its genre. Not that "Empire" has any flaws, mind you, but those Dagobah scenes are a test of patience.\nOne part rousing, gorgeously shot and choreographed action and one part laborious, overwrought plot progression, "Dead Man's Chest" works primarily because of its two award-worthy lead characters. Already with a Golden Globe nod, Johnny Depp's iconic Jack Sparrow retains his standing as the only heart and soul of director Gore Verbinski's trilogy, and Bill Nighy's performance as the malevolent Davy Jones (with significant assistance from Industrial Light & Magic) guarantees "Dead Man's Chest" the visual effects Oscar.\nThe finer points of Terry Rossio and Ted Elliott's screenplay are tedious enough on paper, suffice it to say that Jack Sparrow's blood-debt to Davy Jones is the crux of all things. What ensues is a series of action set pieces as over-the-top as anything in "Temple of Doom" punctuated by more talky bits and tonal shifts than almost any movie to surpass $400 million at the U.S. box office.\nOne-disc and two-disc DVD editions are available, with the single disc containing a standard blooper reel and, ironically, full-length audio commentary by Rossio and Elliott as they attempt to explain themselves. The two-disc version features pre-, during and post-production diaries, as well as detailed looks at the character design and motivations of both Jack Sparrow and Davy Jones. Most of the supplements feel either forced or perfunctory, but at least they're all still more interesting than the Disney ride on which the movies are based.\nWith the third and final installment, "At World's End," due this summer, Verbinski's trilogy remains a unique phenomenon in Hollywood: movies with enough adult themes and loving shots of Depp, Orlando Bloom, and the stunning Keira Knightley to keep mature audiences in their seats, and sufficient sophomoric humor, amazing production design and visual effects to keep the kiddies clamoring for more.