Must-see TV is back

Good news! With NBC's revamped Thursday night comedy block, must-see TV is back! The two-hour comedy block kicks off with "My Name is Earl," a comedy about a man inspired by Carson Daly to seek out all the people he has wronged in his life and help them. Next is "The Office," where viewers get to watch the dysfunctional employees of Dunder Mifflin clash with each other with ensuing hilarity.\nThe second hour starts with "Scrubs," a show about hospital staffers and their wacky patients. Then it's "30 Rock" -- the newest show in the lineup still in its first season. Created, produced and starring Tina Fey, the show won a Golden Globe on Jan. 16.\nNBC's new Thursday night lineup will have some people reminiscing about the station's classic Thursday night lineup, which was anchored by ratings juggernauts "Friends" and "Seinfeld." Those shows were huge successes and paradigms of modern sitcoms, and I am still a huge fan of both shows in syndication. However, the paradigm for sitcoms has changed, and once again Thursday-night NBC is on the cutting edge.\nNot one of the sitcoms on Thursday night uses the laugh track (the hee-hawing and whistling to cue the viewer's laughter). The use of this tool is so common it almost blends in unnoticeably because the audience has come to expect it. Instead of the producers instructing the audience when the show is at a funny bit, the audience gets to decide for itself. Show producers have acknowledged that we, as the audience, have more intelligence than they used to give us credit for. The shows have also become more complex, pertaining to mostly the characters on the shows. All the shows on Thursday are character-driven and you have to get to know the characters before you really get all the layers. Watching Dwight from "The Office" look for a job where he hands out three types of resumes to make sure his fighting skills are recognized is funny because of his character's personality. "Scrubs" can do a musical episode and make it work because the audience is willing to take that leap with the characters. You have to watch the show a few times before you start to enjoy it. \nFinally, the product integration is good. I know, I hate commercials, too, but that's the way entertainment is heading today. Whether it's with Staples in "The Office" or GE in "30 Rock," the shows make a point to admit to the audience exactly what they are doing (cashing in). \nSo call your friends, pop some popcorn and gather around a TV set for "comedy done right" on Thursday nights. Whether it's blue-collar Earl, white-collar "Office," the charming Zack Braff or the smart and sexy Tina Fey, there is something for everybody on Thursday night.