'More Fish' is delish

While many figured March's excellent Fishscale would keep Ghostface fans full for the current standard of two years, it turns out it was just an appetizer. Less than nine months later, Ghost is back serving up seconds on More Fish, an album that lives up to the expectations of its title. The album kicks off with "Ghost Is Back," an update of Rakim's classic "Know the Ledge." It's a bold move by Ghostface, attempting to compete with the lyrical mastery of someone who uses the last name "Allah." He sets the tone by boasting: "With more blubber than a Ruben Studdard, I grease the pan with rhymes and y'all can't believe it's not butter." From there, it's best to take Ghost's advice: "Chill and stretch all out like franks on the grill." \nThe rest of the songs range from tales of secret government assassinations, dice games gone awry, greedy women and the pains of growing up poor. Each one is rapped with the same ferocity and eccentricity that his fans have come to expect from albums like Supreme Clientele and Fishscale. There is even a song performed by Theodore Unit member Shawn Wigs that is a vivid description of a Texas Hold 'Em game that any WSOP fan is bound to love (and it also features the most ridiculous impression of a line from Rounders that could possibly exist). Other standout lyrics by Ghost include comparing the size of the jewels on his neck to other, more personal "jewels," and peeing on the neighborhood bully. Also, the single skit on More Fish is a noticeable improvement over Fishscale, one-third of which is devoted to skits.\nThis is the album that Jay-Z failed to make with last month's Kingdom Come. In an era dominated by Southern rap, Ghostface sets the tone for what a strong New York emcee should sound like. His trademark intense flow remains consistently engaging, and the gritty and soulful beats are a welcome reminder of the last decade of New York rap. The second half of the record is dripping with soul, as songs like "Josephine," "Gotta Hold On" and "You Know I'm No Good" all have smooth arrangements and great choruses. The latter features British newcomer Amy Winehouse, who adds what seems to be the sultriest voice of the last 20 years.\nWith that said, this album is not perfect. Noticeably absent is any contribution from fellow Wu-Tang members, which usually adds excitement to anything they do. Four songs don't even feature Ghostface at all and instead are performed by members of his Theodore Unit crew. Thankfully, Ghost's crew is more competent than most, and while they can't be compared to their leader, they are capable of holding their own on a song. This album is a great follow up to Fishscale, but it will really just get fans hungrier for the dessert to this meal, 2007's highly anticipated collaboration with MF DOOM, Swift & Changeable. Here's to hoping the third course is just as delicious as the first two.