IU primed to finally notch road win

If you've been following this column at any sort of frequency this season (thanks, all three of you), you've surely noticed I've shone particular praise upon IU's defense.\nI've called it stifling, hard-nosed and blah, blah, blah, yadda, yadda, yadda. \nThere's really not much more I can say.\nThis team can defend. It can rebound. Get used to it. This is Kelvin Sampson Basketball. This is now IU Basketball. \nIn addition, the home blowout wins this week against Michigan State and Purdue showed the Hoosiers' offensive versatility.\nOn Sunday against the Spartans it was junior forward D.J. White leading the charge with 21 points, as the Hoosiers' wingmen floundered from beyond the arc, going 3-of-17 for the game.\nOn Wednesday night the Boilers' defense swarmed White all night long. He only had six shot attempts all night.\nNo worries, though. There was junior guard A.J. Ratliff and freshman guard Joey Shaw, who combined for a perfect 6-of-6 from 3-point land.\nIU has so many players right around the same talent level that when a few struggle one night, another group of them shines. It's someone different showing up every night and getting it done. This certainly isn't a one- or two-man team. \nAt this current juncture, there's no reason for Hoosier Nation to believe IU won't keep chugging along and grab one of the top spots in the Big Ten. As I said earlier this week, after Ohio State and Wisconsin, there's a bulk of teams all vying for the third spot in the Big Ten, and IU appears to be emerging as the best team out of the lot.\nSo, as of now, things seem to be falling into place quite well for the Hoosiers and their first-year coach. \nExcept for one thing. \nIU hasn't won on the road this season. If they're going to rise up from that Big Ten middle crop, they're certainly going to have to snatch a few victories away from Assembly Hall.\nNow, save for perhaps the Butler game up in Indianapolis on Nov. 14, the Hoosiers went into hostile environments and competed quite well. But at Duke, Kentucky and Ohio State they became stagnant in the final minutes of close games and eventually lost. \nThey've shown particular resolve and lack of fear on the road, something Mike Davis squads lacked at times.\nPenn State provides the perfect opportunity for IU to notch its first road win Saturday afternoon.\nIt's a far less intimidating environment inside the Bryce Jordan Center than, say, Duke's Cameron Indoor Stadium or Kentucky's Rupp Arena. And Penn State certainly isn't at the same talent level as Duke, Kentucky or Ohio State.\nWhen Sampson first came to IU back in March, White told his new coach one of his goals was to win on the road -- something that wasn't done with much frequency under Davis.\nSaturday's game might finally give White what he's been hoping for.