IU community members share food during cultural discussion

A group of 30 students, staff and faculty joined together to prepare foods from diverse cultures and discuss the meaning of social change Wednesday night at the Helene G. Simon Hillel Center.\nThe event, dubbed "Power of One, Community of All," is part of the campus-wide celebration of the life and legacy of civil rights activist Martin Luther King Jr.\nLillian Casillas, Director of La Casa Latino Cultural Center, said it was an opportunity for participants to meet new people, learn about other cultures and discuss the importance of social change in the community.\nJean-Christophe Henry, a senior from France, talked about his experience on the Civil Rights Immersion Trip this weekend, where 55 from IU visited Birmingham, Al.\nHenry said he met an Alabama resident who said race relations have not changed and are more difficult now than during the segregation period. Henry emphasized that the civil rights movement is not over, and initiating social change is everyone's responsibility.\nIn addition to the discussion of race, culture and social change, participants prepared food from different cultural backgrounds. Casillas said that a representative from the Muslim Student Association showed the participants how to make hummus.\nThe Asian Culture Center contributed egg rolls; the Gay, Bisexual, Lesbian and Transgender Student Support Services contributed a rainbow fruit salad; and the Neal-Marshall Black Culture Center contributed carrot and cucumber salad.\nSenior Khalil AbuGharbieh, president of the Muslim Student Union, said he decided to be a part of the event because it was a gathering of people from so many different backgrounds.\n"I had never heard of it before, and it is amazing that we are involved in an event like this," AbuGharbieh said. "This is the first time the Muslim Student Union is involved and it's amazing."\nGulshan Patil, a graduate student from India, said he came because he wanted to learn more about Martin Luther King Jr. \n"I want to gain as much knowledge as possible. I have been going to lectures, seminars and different functions to learn more about the civil rights leader." \nKetwana Wilson, a graduate assistant from the Neal-Marshall Black Culture Center expressed what the "Power of One" theme meant to her.\n"Everyone has the responsibility to make social change occur," she said. "And one person can definitely make a difference, no matter how big or small"