Hoosiers have turned the corner

Did you get that feeling? \nYou know, the one where you felt that at some point, the Huskies were going to fully seize their hyper-athleticism, breakthrough and take over the game for good? \nWell, a run here and a run there, and they were back in the game, even taking the lead on several occasions. \nBut as IU coach Kelvin Sampson said after his team's 77-73 victory against Connecticut, his team bent, but it did not break. \nIn the Kentucky, Duke, Butler and Ohio State games, his team broke. The final minutes were ridden with stalls, as IU found itself unable to string points together for a victory. Against Penn State and Connecticut, the Hoosiers seized up the strength and courage to muster out a win.\nThis is a team -- and more specifically a coach -- getting the most out of what it has. Take junior college transfer Mike White as an example. Heading into Saturday's contest, he'd only averaged eight minutes a game. He never started. Against the Huskies he did just that and played 32 minutes.\nWhite doesn't have much offensive prowess. Sampson, in his post-game press conference, said White would never be a "stat-sheet stuffer."\nBut he came up with some huge defensive plays. Not known for his free-throw shooting, he hit two key ones to tie up the game at 66 with 2:41 left. If you remember, he was 2-of-7 from the free-throw line against Duke. The Hoosiers lost that game by three.\nSaturday, he did what was asked of him by Sampson. That's all he needed to do. And he did it to near perfection.\nAgainst Kentucky, Rod Wilmont failed to even attempt a 3-point shot late in the game when the opportunity presented itself. Saturday, he took the shot. He nailed a deep three from well beyond the left wing. It was coldblooded. It put the Hoosiers up one. Shortly after, Connecticut's Stanley Robinson, who had terrorized IU all game, connected and IU found itself down one. \nNo worries. Here came Wilmont once again, driving down the lane (remember he's a shooter), hitting a jumper to put the Hoosiers up once again. It was a lead they'd never relinquish. \nIt seems that where once the Hoosiers faltered, they're now triumphing.\nThis is a credit to Sampson. He's proven to be an excellent game manager and has instilled confidence within this team.\nThis is essentially a very similar squad to last year's. IU has one talented big man and a bevy of 3-point shooters. But they play harder. They play smarter. They're all a year older. Last year's team doesn't win this game. \nThe Hoosiers have seemingly undergone a Beatles-esque transformation since November. They were an unkempt group of Liverpoolians back then, rampant with sloppy, turnover-ridden play, unsure of their identities or direction.\nNow, just as the fab four did, they've completely transformed themselves in a relatively short time. The Hoosiers now don suits and ties, complete with mop tops, fully aware of who they are and where they're headed. \nJust how far can this team go? Hard to say.\nBut for now, the Hoosiers are rising to the challenge.\nExpect this entertaining show to continue all the way into March.