Discussion series sparks range of dialogue

Talk asks, 'Who are Asian-Pacific Americans?'

The Asian American Association sponsored a discussion, titled "Who Are Asian-Pacific-Americans?" on Friday to discuss how the efforts of civil-rights leader Martin Luther King Jr. and nonviolent protests have affected the Asian-Pacific American community.\nThe discussion was the first installment of a series of similar presentations by the group.\nStudents talked Friday about how nonviolent protests not only positively affected black communities in the civil-rights era, but were also evident in movements in Asian and Mexican-American communities. Students also talked about contemporary social controversies, including the racial and political implications of Hurricane Katrina and diversity concerns on the IU campus. Other widely discussed topics included gay rights and racism on campus.\nJunior Samantha Loo, moderator and advocacy chairperson of the Asian American Association, said she got involved in the group because of her interest in what it does. \n"I am really interested in cultural and political issues," Loo said. "I am a gender-studies major and learn a lot about issues concerning gender and sexuality."\nLoo said her job as advocacy chair is to promote diversity and awareness about Asian-American culture.\nShe also explained the term that sparked the discussion.\n"'Asian-Pacific American' is an inclusive term that means any type of Asian and also the Pacific Islands," Loo said. "And we throw in the word 'American' because a lot of people don't understand the difference between Asians and Asian-Americans, and it could apply to Americanized Asians or Asians who have migrated here from a different country and have integrated (into) American culture.\nLoo said she wants people to be aware of what's happening in their community, and she also hopes to influence others to change or improve society.\nWendy Ho, the graduate assistant and student outreach coordinator at the Asian Culture Center, said the planning process for the discussion series takes into account current events as well as broad social issues.\n"The talk series has been at the center for the couple of years," Ho said. "A lot of the ideas of programs come from our director. We sit down with the advocacy chair for the Asian American Association and try to incorporate topics that are relevant to the month."\nHo said topics relate to all sorts of issues, including the Asian female for Women's History Month and interracial dating for Valentine's Day.\nLoo said other topics that will be covered include the model-minority myth -- the idea that Asians represent an ideal group of people who have succeeded in American society. Ho said she wants participants in the discussion series to explore other social and cultural perspectives.\n"I hope it brought a different perspective, since we are all usually caught up in our own bubbles or comfort zones," Ho said. "We are not trying to preach or talk about a certain belief or attitudes"