Better than the preview

When I first saw previews for "Freedom Writers," I thought it was another cliché story about story about a teacher who won't give up on her students. Luckily, I believe in the idea that you shouldn't judge a movie by its previews and gave this movie a chance. \nHilary Swank plays Erin Gruwell, a first time teacher at a voluntarily integrated high school. Ms. Gruwell believes in her students but finds it hard to get them to believe in themselves when the school won't even provide the class with new books. Not ready to give up, Ms. Gruwell takes on two part-time jobs to raise money for new books, even when it begins to strain her relationship with her husband Scott (Patrick Dempsey). \nMs. Gruwell encourages her students to express the pain they feel not through violence, but by keeping a journal and writing down their experiences. The journals, along with field trips Erin put together, help the students come together and recognize what they all have in common.\nSwank gives a beatiful performance as a teacher not willing to give up on her students and you can see the passion in her eyes throughout the entire film. \nThe actors who play Ms. Gruwell's students, including R&B singer Mario, are committed to their roles throughout the entire film. The pain they feel shows not only in their eyes, but in their attitudes and expressions. As hard as it is to see Patrick Dempsey out of his "McDreamy" role, he does a good job as Ms. Gruwell's jealous husband, and I found that throughout the film, I couldn't help but begin to dislike him more and more. \nThough not his first, I would say this is Richard LaGravenese's breakthrough film for writing and directing. The script was tastefully written and emotionally moving. The acting, scene sequence, even the music, were all appropriately put together to set the mood and unfold the story.\n"Freedom Writers" is a remarkable movie, based on a true story which will lift your mood and may even make you leave the theater wanting to start writing in your own journal.