Behind the bar

WEEKEND exposes some of Bloomington's best-kept secrets

After a night out sampling Bloomington's extensive and diverse bar scene, students might stumble home wondering why they've danced the night away under fake ivy or drowned the stresses of a hectic week with a potent concoction named after an animal. Each bar has its quirks and history that have endeared it to students and Bloomington residents alike. Now, WEEKEND goes behind the bars to reveal some of the their best-kept secrets.

Who invented the 'Hairy Bear'?\nStudents often pour into Bear's Place on Third Street to share a laugh and drink, and on Monday and Saturday nights, they come in to enjoy the entertainment from Comedy Caravan. No matter the day of the week, many will order the famed "Hairy Bear," a drink that can make the most grizzly man whimper. \nNight bartender David Eggert said the first Hairy Bear was concocted in the late 1980s or early 1990s for the amusement of the bartenders. No one ever thought it would become a classic drink loved by so many.\n"It was a joke drink, the bartenders created something they thought would be funny," Eggert said. "They had no idea it would become so popular."\nThe Hairy Bear started off as six shots in a pint glass with a little juice. As its popularity grew, its size doubled. Now it is served in a 32-ounce glass. Though the Long Island Iced Tea spent a good amount of time as Bear's Place's most ordered drink, word spread about the Hairy Bear and it soon eclipsed the Long Island. \n"It the late '90s, it really took off," Eggert said. "We began to hear chants of 'Hairy Bear, Hairy Bear' as people drank."

How did Kilroy's on Kirkwood become known as a 'greek' bar?\nKilroy's on Kirkwood for many years has been known primarily as a "greek" bar. This perception comes from the large percentage of its patrons involved in IU's sororities and fraternities. Ben Kelner, manager of Kilroy's Sports Bar on Walnut Street, said a lot of this reputation has to do with the bar's history.\n"In the mid 1980s, Kilroy's hired greek employees non-strategically and they brought their friends with them," Kelner said. "... They would all come out to where they worked."\nKelner also attributed the large greek presence to the bar's proximity to east Third Street, which is home to many sororities and fraternities.\nJunior and Acacia fraternity member James Munder said Kilroy's remains a predominantly greek bar, though he said many people he knows who are not in the greek system frequent Kilroy's as well. He attributes the location of the bar as a primary reason, but also the crowd of patrons students can expect.\n"I know especially for the frats on east Third (Street), it's so close. At Acacia, I am only a stone's throw from the bar," Munder said. "However, (greeks) from all over campus come to Kilroy's because they know what to expect. We do stuff with other greek houses and we know we will see them there."\nMunder said there is nothing particular about the setup of the bar that he likes more than others, for him it is more about "who's there."

\nWhy is Jungle Room jungle-themed?\nAaron Steele, who is also the owner of Uncle Fester's, opened Jungle Room in 2003. The jungle theme came from Steele's experience at his family's bar in Costa Rica.\n"My family owns a bar, restaurant and hotel in the jungle off the coast of Costa Rica. I moved there after college," Steele said. "I helped renovate the bar, bartended, surfed and lived in the jungle."\nSteele designed the jungle theme to commemorate that part of his life in Costa Rica.\n"I felt it was appropriate to incorporate some of my life experiences in my business," Steele said. "It's part of who I am, what I'm about and a lot of good memories."

What's the oldest bar on Kirkwood?\nThe Irish Lion is Kirkwood's oldest bar, though it hasn't always been under the same ownership. It also has an interesting history on Bloomington's most alcoholic avenue.\nCo-owner Larry McConnaughy said the building was constructed in 1882 as a tavern and inn. Since its construction, the building has always been used as a place that serves food and drinks. The Irish Lion took over 25 years ago and all the original woodwork remains upstairs in addition to much of the original Victorian design downstairs. \nWhile the scene outside the pub takes on new forms, not much has changed at the bar, McConnaughy said. The Irish Lion continues to serve traditional Irish food and ales, and at one point, it was the only place in Bloomington that served Guinness, an Irish beer that can now be found at almost any bar in the city, he said.\nThe Irish Lion serves the traditional yard or half-yard ale, which is a drink that comes in either a three-foot or foot-and-a-half cup. McConnaughy said the drink style originated with coachmen who drove horse-drawn carriages so they could have a drink without it spilling over the top of the cup on their bumpy trips.\nWhen it first opened, the Irish Lion employed almost all Irish workers, but with the recent boom in Ireland's economy, there are fewer Irish immigrants coming to the United States.\nMcConnaughy said the Irish Lion provides patrons with a great place for good drinks, food and, most importantly, conversation.\n"Nowadays when you think of a bar, it's loud music and bright lights," McConnaughy said. "We like to think (Irish Lion) provides a place to drink, but also a great atmosphere for company and conversation"