Backstreet Missions to construct new women's shelter

Anonymous donors help fund group's new project

Backstreet Missions Inc., a nonprofit Christian-based organization, is building a new shelter on West Third Street to house homeless women and children. Until now, the organization has only had a shelter for men.\nThe shelter will be available for homeless single women with or without children living in Monroe and surrounding counties.\nBackstreet Missions is a supplier of food, shelter and clothing to the homeless in the Bloomington community. Backstreet's services include a men's shelter and community assistance programs. \nLinda Kelley, president, CEO and co-founder, said it took a long time to find a location to build the charity's new headquarters. An anonymous donor granted the land to build the women's shelter.\nKelley said Backstreet was able to pay for the project with foundational grants from anonymous donors. The organization received its first grant of $50,000, which was matched by a grant from the city of Bloomington. Backstreet just received another foundational grant of $375,000 that will go toward the shelter. The total cost of the project will range from $600,000 to $650,000. \nStone Cabin Design of Gosport, Ind., will construct the new building, and construction should start soon, said owner James Gray.\n"We're thinking it will take about five to six months to complete before the women and children can move in," he said. \nThe shelter will have two levels and ample room to house the women and children. The main level will have an office area, five classrooms, a nursery, a kitchen, a handicap-accessible bedroom, a dining area and a chapel. The upper level will have 10 bedrooms to accommodate families of all sizes. Each bedroom will house one woman and up to six children, Kelley said. In the back of the shelter, there will be a fenced-in playground area to allow safe play for the children. \nAnybody can volunteer or give donations to fund the project. Kelley and Gray said any group donations given to furnish rooms are appreciated.\n"We're still looking for around $150,000 to furnish the bedrooms, dining area and the kitchen," Gray said.\nThe shelter will be holding different classes on subjects such as parenting, budgeting and cooking.