Women's: Stockwell breaks second-straight school record in breaststroke

IU wraps up U.S. Open meet

To say that sophomore Sarah Stockwell has had a good two weeks of swimming would be an understatement. \nAt the U.S. Open Invitational in West Lafayette this weekend, Stockwell broke her second-straight school record in as many competitions. Fresh off her school-record performance in the 100-yard breaststroke at the IU Open Invitational Nov. 17-19, Stockwell broke her own school mark in the 100-meter breaststroke event. She swam to a third-place tie in the C-final with a time of 1:12.83, which erased her old mark of 1:13.91. \nStockwell, along with six other IU women swimmers, took part in the U.S. Open Invitational during the weekend at Boilermaker Aquatic Center. Swimmers from all over the world took part in the three-day competition, \nIU senior Leila Vaziri turned in the best overall performance for the Hoosiers, swimming to a second-place finish in the 100-meter backstroke. Vaziri finished with a time of 1:03.52, trailing only Kristy Coventry, a 2004 Olympic gold medalist from Zimbabwe. Vaziri also took fourth in the B-final of the 100-meter freestyle and fifth in the C-final of the 200-meter backstroke. Freshman Presley Bard placed fourth in the B-final of the 100-meter backstroke and 39th in the prelims of the 200-meter backstroke. \n"I am obviously very pleased with the performances of Sarah and Leila, along with Presley Bard," IU swimming coach Ray Looze said. "Any time you can qualify for a swim in the bonus, consolation or championship heat in a competition like this, you know you're doing a good job."\nAlong with Bard, several other freshmen took part in the competition. Emma Berry swam in the 200- and 400-meter freestyle prelims, finishing 91st and 57th, respectively. Ashley Jones' best finish in the event was 55th in the 200-meter backstroke prelims, while Amilee Smith finished eighth in the C-final of the 100-meter freestyle.\n"The freshmen did a good job," Looze said. "This will definitely help them down the road. This meet was mostly for the experience of going against good international competition"