Bluebird offers a taste of 'Sexual Chocolate' Saturday night

Karl Denson Jazz Trio performs Saturday

Karl Denson is one of those musicians people have seen without even knowing who he is.\nHe got his break in an uncredited roll as the bandleader and saxophonist in the fictional band "Sexual Chocolate" in the 1988 Eddy Murphy movie "Coming to America." He played as Lenny Kravitz's saxophonist and bandleader throughout the '90s and has played in numerous projects since, garnering acclaim from jazz, rock and jam fans as he fused genres together with whatever his current lineup happened to be.\nNow, Denson is leading a trio, rounded out by a drummer and keyboardist. He will play with them at 9 p.m. Saturday at Bluebird. Tickets are $12 in advance and $15 at the door.\nDenson has played with the Greyboy Allstars and jam/groove band Karl Denson's Tiny Universe. He has also released several solo albums.\nSenior Evan Alberhasky first came across Denson's music at a concert while seeing Bela Fleck and the Flecktones when he was in high school and was instantly impressed. \n"I caught the end of their show and thought they could really groove," he said. "They're very jazzy and rhythmic, and they'll jam out. It's a very varied type of music with a lot of jazz and funk influences."\nJunior Aaron Estabrook said Denson has a big college following and tickets are selling well for the Saturday show. Estabrook, who is doing promotions for the show, added that Denson sold out a show at a bar a couple nights ago. He described Denson's music as soulful, stripped-down jazz and rock fusion that makes for a unique performance.\n"He puts on a show. It's kind of different," Estabrook said.\nDenson constantly switches up his backing band. He will be touring with the Greyboy Allstars from February to April 2007. Denson told www.jambase.com he is excited about playing in a trio, which enables him to play tighter jazz and perform music not suited for his larger band, Tiny Universe. \nFans are excited about seeing what Denson can do in the three-man lineup.\n"I've seen them a bunch of times since (the Flecktones concert)," Alberhasky said. "I've never seen the trio before, so I'm looking forward to seeing how they play off each other"