Where they stand

Indiana's 9th District is one of the closest House races in the country. Though the district traditionally leans Republican and President George W. Bush received 59 percent of the vote here in 2004, Democrat Baron Hill served as its representative from 1998 until 2004, when current Rep. Mike Sodrel, R-9th, defeated Hill by fewer than 1,500 votes. They first faced off in 2002 with Hill receiving 51 percent of the vote to Sodrel's 46 percent. \nAfter millions of dollars, hundreds of negative ads and dozens of campaign stops with other representatives, senators and even presidents -- current and former -- showing their support for each candidate, the stage is now set for another close election. The nonpartisan political Web site The Cook Report calls the race a "toss up."\nNew to the race is Libertarian Eric Schansberg, an economics professor from IU-Southeast who bills himself as the only fiscal conservative in the race and a solid alternative for those who dislike both Hill and Sodrel\nDon Mantooth is an independent write-in candidate for the 9th District seat. Mantooth, a World War II veteran and retired Indianapolis police officer, participated in the second and final debate last week in Jasper, Ind.\nHe believes there is no solid victory plan in Iraq, and until that is established, the war will not be successful.