Voters 'bring back Baron' for 4th term after 2004 loss

SEYMOUR, Ind. -- Hoosiers have brought back Baron.\nAfter months of tough campaigning in one of the closest races in the country, The Associated Press projected Democrat Baron Hill as the winner in the 9th District congressional race Tuesday night, with a lead of more than 2,000 votes and 77 percent of precincts reporting.\nAfter greeting some of the dozens of supporters who came to Hill's victory celebration at the Dakota Ridge restaurant and amidst cheers of "Baron is back" and "Take a hike Mike," the representative-elect raised his fist in a sign of victory before taking the podium and letting out a loud sigh.\n"The people of the 9th District are going to get the change they deserve," he said. "If you want change, if you want an independent voice for southern Indiana, you've got him tonight."\nHill previously served as the district's representative from 1998 until 2004 when Republican Rep. Mike Sodrel, defeated him by fewer than 1,500 votes.\nLibertarian and IU-Southeast economics professor Eric Schansberg also sought the seat this year.\nBoth Hill and Sodrel have accused each other of running negative ads despite signing a clean campaign pledge in August, which Hill addressed.\n"I'm tired of this nasty negative advertising, and I want it to stop once and for all," he said.\nHill reiterated his campaign promises of expanding health care for Americans, balancing the budget and setting timetables for withdrawal from Iraq.\n"We're not going to cut and run, but we need to get out of there sooner rather than later."\nAs of late Tuesday, The Associated Press projected that Democrats will gain control of the House. \n"When you've got one-party rule for too long, trouble starts," Hill said. "We're going to clean it up."\nIva Gasaway, the Democratic Scott County Chairwoman was among the hundreds of people who came out to support Hill Tuesday night.\n"I think Baron is one of the most wonderful men I've ever met," she said. "He has a lot of family values ... I think he's the independent voice we need in Washington, D.C."\nRoger Brewer, of Vallonia, Ind. said he has always considered himself an independent with some Democratic leanings, but he was upset with the direction Republicans and the Bush administration have moved to in recent years and felt it was important to come out and support Hill.\n"I'm tired of Republican rule," he said. "It's worse than (former Iraqi President Saddam) Hussein's rule"