Monday, June 17

Students optimistic for change after elections

The choice word for many students around campus Wednesday was "optimistic."\nFollowing the results of Tuesday's election, students said they were optimistic for change, others for peace, while many expressed a general hope for the future of the nation.\nJust a day after Republicans lost control of the House for the first time since 1994 and with the resignation of Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld, students who wanted reform said they are now ready to accept the changes Democrats have promised.\n"I didn't see it happening," said sophomore Lesley Crowe, referring to the Democrats claiming a majority in the House. She said change in specific areas like Iraq was not as important as achieving progress for the entire nation.\nOther students said the Democrats now have a responsibility to tackle specific issues with campaign mudslinging finally finished. \n"We really need to see change with the war in Iraq," sophomore Lara Streyle said. \nShe acknowledged, however, that it could prove difficult to make any significant changes unless the new Congress proves able to work through its differences and find common ground on the issues.\nDespite the high profile of the 2006 elections, a majority of students surveyed Wednesday at the Indiana Memorial Union said they held no opinions regarding Tuesday's results.\nAs of Wednesday night, the GOP also lost control of the Senate, with Democrat Jim Webb beating Sen. George Allen in Virginia. The Associated Press reported.. \nEven some at IU who admitted to not getting swept up in the campaign frenzy said though they were ready for change, the Democrats still had a lot to prove.\n"In general, they need to look at the war and everything. They need to buckle down and figure out what is going on," junior Taylor Brough said. \nHe said immigration would also be an issue Democrats need to tackle to demonstrate their \ncompetence as leaders, along with the truthfulness behind campaign promises.\n"Most politicians make false commitments," Brough said. "I mean, it's in every election."\nSome students, especially those who filled their days tirelessly campaigning, felt deeper connections with the outcomes Tuesday. With Baron Hill narrowly defeating incumbent Republican Rep. Mike Sodrel, the end of the road was bittersweet for some.\nBeginning work months before many students even realized 2006 was an election year, both the IU College Republicans and IU College Democrats worked to promote their candidates. \n"The College Democrats basically went crazy," said College Democrats President Emma Cullen, referring to the moment they found out Hill had won. "We have been literally working on this campaign for two years -- ever since Hill lost last time." \nDespite analysts' predictions that a split Congress could only mean gridlock, Cullen insisted change was on the horizon.\n"The president wants to leave a legacy," she said. "The last Congress wasn't able to get anything done. This gives Bush a chance to get a sensible law passed on immigration."\nEven some from the College Republicans walked away with a positive attitude Wednesday, despite Sodrel's defeat. Tara Virgil, internal vice chair of the College Republicans, said even though a majority of voters were not convinced by the group's campaigning, she was still proud of the effort.\n"These races bond the College Republicans even more. We've had fun doing it, and we've still worked hard," Virgil said. \nThe College Republicans would become an "even better" organization now that the elections had passed, she said. \nThough positive about her group's efforts, she refused to show the same optimism toward entering Democrats. \n"I'm not going to say I'm optimistic. I'm interested," she said. "I'm disappointed in how the Republicans don't have the House anymore, and I'm just interested in seeing what the Democrats do for the next two years.\n"We'll see what happens, I guess," she added.