Police block woman driving wrong way

Bloomington police arrested a woman early Saturday morning for driving at high speeds the wrong way down State Road 37, said Bloomington Police Department Detective Sgt. David Drake.

At about 3 a.m. Saturday, the BPD received a call reporting that a vehicle was driving south in the north-bound lane of State Road 37 in the area of Oliver Winery, Drake said, reading from a police report. According to the report, the person who called estimated the car was moving at about 80 miles per hour.

Officer Tracy Headley arrived at the scene and witnessed the vehicle traveling the wrong way, Drake said. Headley turned on the police lights on her squad car and drove out to the middle of the street so her car would block both lanes in an attempt to stop the driver. According to the report, the driver did slow down but drove off the roadway to avoid the car.

Drake said police would not normally use these methods just to initiate a traffic stop, but this situation called for more "extreme measures."

Another squad car pulled in front of the vehicle, forcing the driver, Brooke Brown, 23, to stop. According to the report, when Brown exited the car, she had to hold herself up against the vehicle to remain standing.

Brown's blood alcohol content level tested at 0.20, according to the report. The legal blood alcohol content level in Indiana is .08.

Brown told officers she started drinking at Kilroy's Bar & Grill on Kirkwood Avenue at about 9:30 p.m., Drake said. Then, at about 12:30 a.m., she decided to go to Indianapolis to drink with her ex-boyfriend but changed her mind and decided to go back to Bloomington.

Drake said she told police she did not realize she was driving the wrong way.

Police also arrested IU student Camille L. Navarro, 24, early Friday morning under similar circumstances. Drake said Navarro was traveling south on Walnut Street, a one-way northbound street, toward a squad car. The officer activated his lights and stopped, but Navarro continued driving toward him, and he had to veer to the right to avoid Navarro, according to the report.

Navarro's blood alcohol content level tested at 0.17, according to the report.

More