Monday, June 17

IU wins ministry building with bid

University will pay $1.29 million for new office space

IU will pay $1.29 million for the former Center for University Ministry building and will convert the space into faculty offices. The University was the winning bidder at the building's auction Friday. \nIU paid $100,000 up front in accordance with the sale's terms, said Tim Ellis, the realtor and auctioneer who oversaw the sale of the property. The University was represented by the IU Foundation, which has eyed the building since the Center for University Ministry closed its operations late last year, Ellis said. \n"(IU) came in to bid just like everyone else," he said. "They did not receive any special treatment just because they were IU." \nEllis said the auction was competitive. \nHe said three other parties bid in competition with the University for the property, located at 1514 E. Third St. The former campus ministry center sits on 1.36 acres of land, with the building itself covering 12,500 square feet, according to the realtor's Web site. \nIU will use the building for "office and support services" relocated from the Creative Arts building, which the School of Health, Physical Education and Recreation uses, IU Assistant Vice President for Real Estate Lynn Coyne said in an e-mail. He said the closing price of $1.29 million was within the University's "range of possibilities going into the auction."\nIt was somewhat unusual to have an auction for a property of this type, Ellis said, but he added that he wanted to stay in touch with the wishes of the seller -- the Synod of Lincoln Trails, a Presbyterian group that oversees more than 700 congregations in Illinois and Indiana. \n"(Ministry officials) said to me when they listed it, being a Christian organization, they wanted to make sure everyone had an equal opportunity to buy it," he said.\nHowever, Robert Shaw, the synod's vice moderator, said he had "complex" feelings about IU gaining control of the building. He said he was sad to see the campus ministry come to an end, but said the sale of the building was "out of their hands." \nHe refused to comment on whether he thought the auction's closing price of $1.29 million was fair or what the synod had expected to receive in exchange for the property. \nThe Center for University Ministry closed last year after a decline in student interest. The University's purchase Friday debunks speculation the building would remain in line with its religious roots by becoming a Christian-based student housing center. \nIU will take control of the property Nov. 30 following the closing, Ellis said.