Indianapolis orchestra performs on campus

Boasting more than 20 IU Jacobs School of Music alumni, the Indianapolis Symphony Orchestra performed Sunday at the Musical Arts Center before a packed crowd. The free concert was the symphony's first visit to IU since its show last year, according to a press release. \nThe Indianapolis Symphony Orchestra's music director, Mario Venzago, conducted the performance. Venzago is in his fifth season as music director for the Indianapolis Symphony Orchestra and is the newly appointed principal conductor of the Gothenburg Symphony Orchestra in Sweden, according to the concert program. \nThe two-hour performance consisted of four composed works: Johannes Brahms' "Academic Festival Overture" and "Double Concerto in A Minor" for violin, cello and orchestra, Jean Sibelius' "Symphony No. 7 in C Major" and Giuseppe Verdi's "Overture to La Forza del Destino." \nJacobs School of Music faculty and noted musicians, including violinist Jaime Laredo and cellist Sharon Robinson, were featured soloists in Brahms' "Double Concerto." Brahms' "Double Concerto" is the heart of Laredo and Robinson's repertoire together, according to the program. Laredo and Robinson are also members of the eminent Kalichstein-Laredo-Robinson Trio, which was named Musical America's "Ensemble of the Year" in 2002, according to the event's press release. This month Laredo and Robinson celebrate their 30th wedding anniversary along with the 30th anniversary of their Kalichstein-Laredo-Robinson Trio.\nResponding to questions that had been generated before the concert, Robinson wrote in the program that the audience should pay close attention to the conversation and dialogue between her cello and Laredo's violin. During the performance, the connection between them was evident as they played both in a call-and-response fashion and together. \nThe Indianapolis Symphony Orchestra is the primary orchestra in Indiana, said Alain Barker, director of marketing and publicity for Jacobs School of Music. \n"It is significant bringing the Indianapolis Symphony Orchestra to Bloomington because it allows the students and community to experience and appreciate music from a major orchestra," Barker said. \nBarker added that the Indianapolis Symphony Orchestra shares a growing, long-standing relationship with Jacobs School of Music. The orchestra often invites IU faculty to Indianapolis to perform with them, he said.\nVenzago emphasized the strong relationship during the performance by graciously thanking the Jacobs School of Music and by stating the valuable, close connection it shares with the Indianapolis Symphony Orchestra. \nBarker said he does not know when the IndianapolisSymphony Orchestra will return to IU but hopes it will perform again soon.\nFor those who want to see the Indianapolis Symphony Orchestra, upcoming events in Indianapolis include the symphony accompanying the reunited original Broadway cast of "Beatlemania" for the Classical Mystery Tour at 8 p.m. Friday and Saturday and 7 p.m. Sunday at the Hilbert Circle Theatre. Those interested can hear highlights from Indianapolis Symphony Orchestra performances at 8 p.m. Tuesdays and 7 p.m. Sundays on WFYI 90.1 FM on Public Radio's "Indianapolis On-The-Air." These broadcasts can also be accessed online at www.wfyi.org/radioISO.asp.