A Growing Tradition

Family orchard will soon provide organic produce

Every Wednesday during cider season, 600 gallons of fresh apple cider flow from the press at the Musgrave Orchard.\n"We live off cider," orchard owner Amy Hamilton said. \nA family business, she and her husband have been pressing cider from the apple trees that line their 5-acre orchard since they purchased the property and store four years ago.\nWhile the area has been home to apple orchards since the 1700s, the Musgrave Orchard was established 80 years ago by the Musgrave family, and the Hamiltons have taken on the task of preserving its lineage. Dramatically downsized when the Musgrave family sold the orchard to the Hamiltons four years ago, its size was reduced from 7,000 trees to a more manageable 700 trees. \nThe cleared land was portioned into residential plots, but the orchard remains a working testament to the area's longstanding history. \n"History goes a long way," Hamilton said. "That's why we will never change the name." \nThe orchard's success is rooted in its tradition and well-established reputation, she said. \n"We rely on a good product to make its name known," Hamilton said.\nAnyone traveling north on State Road 37 can spot the giant red apple sign with the orchard's insignia pointing the way to its quiet, backroad location 10 miles north of Bloomington. \nOn a pleasant fall day, the orchard's store was packed with dozens of patrons, catering to anyone with an appetite for apples.\nThe store is set up as a trading post that vends apple cider at $5 per gallon and a variety of local products including preserves from Dillman Farms -- another family-owned Bloomington business -- candles and pottery crafted by neighbors. All are sold alongside caramel apples that are made from the dozen or so types of apples grown on the grounds or purchased from surrounding orchards, including Jonathan, Red Delicious and some lesser known varieties such as Winesap, Lodi and Prima apples.\nApples are $8 a peck, or 10-and-a-half pounds, and $45 a bushel, or 45 pounds. Individual apples are also sold.\n"We are focusing on local," Hamilton said. \nWith a concern for both the environment and health, she said she is looking forward to next year's growing season when the orchard will be completely organic.\n"We personally don't want to deal with all the chemicals," Hamilton said of the orchard's upcoming organic spray schedule. The future hormone and clay-based products will protect the six varieties of apple trees from pests and disease. \nOne unique service the orchard has integrated into its business is Community Supported Agriculture, much like a personal farmers market, where participating members buy a share of the weekly harvest the Hamiltons grow. \n"CSA and the orchard are kind of becoming each other," Hamilton said of its integration into her business. \nHer customers can choose from a variety of organic garden produce, ranging from squash to peppers to cucumbers. \nHamilton said her customers enjoy the surprise and seasonality of the produce when they select their share of the weekly offerings. \nCSA is an integral part of the summer growing season, but the orchard relies year-round on its apple business, pressing cider well into February.\nThe family-run business draws valuable support from friends and neighbors who volunteer their time in both the cider pressing and management of the store.\n"Everyone does everyone's job," volunteer Rebecca Horne said. \nHorne, a Bloomington resident, has known the Hamiltons for years and said she enjoys everything about the orchard, from the relaxed atmosphere to the customers who frequent it.\nAs fall progresses, the orchard finds itself in its busiest time of the year. Word-of-mouth advertising keeps the customers coming at a steady rate Wednesday through Sunday when the orchard store is open for business.\nThe Hamiltons find time to rest Monday and Tuesday while making deliveries to local vendors who sell their cider. Local eateries such as Encore Café, Restaurant Tallent, Roots and Bloomingfoods all offer the cider mill's unpasteurized, freshly pressed product. \nSugar & Spice in the Indiana Memorial Union sells pints of the cider, which workers say is a popular product. \n"It's going quick," John Shay, IMU Market manager, said. "We can't keep the stuff on the shelf